jaime bray

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Apart from the obvious ones like : don't cut your arms or legs off or cut through your rope or a branch you're roped on to? This one's a bit cerebral but probably saved me from a few mistakes: When you have a big bough to rope down and you have decided how you are going to rig it for lowering, before you cut it, run the job through in your mind's eye, like a movie. You will be surprised how often you will discover a flaw in your original plan and decide to do it differently, based on what you saw in your mental movie clip. allied to this tip: never let jeers from those safely on the ground stop you from changing tack, even if you have to undo all your lowering rope and start again; safety always comes first.

Finally: always work on the understanding that the climber is ultimately in charge of the job. Ask for and welcome suggestions from the ground but remember, the job always look different from up in the tree and might need a technique different from how it seems from the ground.

What would be your top 20-25 tips for tree workers?

Things like;

Watch out for london plane in the summer.

Watch out for Ash with innotus hispidus.

Just because the chainsaw has stopped it doesnt mean that branches will not be falling still.

Always put a stopper not in the end of your rope.

One handed chainsaw use can often be minimised by better positioning.

Be wary of Laurel chippings and the chemicals released. Arsenic?

Never under estimate what the public will do when within the vicinity of a work site.

IMO, its better to always use a rope thats twice as long as the tree is tall (well to your TIP) so you don't need a stopper knot and can always get down in a hurry if things go wrong :thumbup1:

Edited by skyhuck

IMO, its better to always use a rope thats twice as long as the tree is tall (well to your TIP) so you don't need a stopper knot and can always get down in a hurry if things go wrong :thumbup1:

true, but if you are tied in any higher than 70 foot then 45m isn't enough...and if you have dropped from a branch or through a fork then you can still run out of line. I always have one in mine.:001_smile:

Always maintain a clear line of descent when working (clean rope line for rapid descents)

always do the hardest job on site FIRST not last, when your tired and flagging youll appreciate the easy jobs toward the end.

always as with the above think about how you can make your energy stretch further, plan your routes through the canopy if only for a minute or two

true, but if you are tied in any higher than 70 foot then 45m isn't enough...and if you have dropped from a branch or through a fork then you can still run out of line. I always have one in mine.:001_smile:

Its actually 75 feet and I'm not to worried about running out of rope 5 feet from the floor, so even on very tall trees of 90" my TIP tends to be 10 feet from the top, so I've never really had a problem.

If your regularly doing trees over 100' you'd be better with a 60M.

What would be your top 20-25 tips for tree workers?

Things like;

Watch out for london plane in the summer.

Watch out for Ash with innotus hispidus.

Just because the chainsaw has stopped it doesnt mean that branches will not be falling still.

Always put a stopper not in the end of your rope.

One handed chainsaw use can often be minimised by better positioning.

Be wary of Laurel chippings and the chemicals released. Arsenic?

Never under estimate what the public will do when within the vicinity of a work site.

skimping on decent kit is the quickest way to lose money, get the right tool for the job from the outset.:thumbup1: