bring back yts

Stephen Blair

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi I left school in the mid 80s and did start on a yts but I had to jack it in as it only worked if you were able to live at home with min rent to pay .

I was in care and i had to leve at 17 and take lodgins outside of the care home . My rent was 40 a week without food so had to do a full time day job at my local paper shop then because my hourley rate was half that of the other full time casher even though our jobs and responsibilities Were the same other then having to do 1 days till training before going live i had to do the same amount of work and jobs as the full paid staff I then had to do an evening job washing dishes every night to make ends meet

As I could not get any help with the rent so had no chance of collage or yts I just had to work and work to make enough for rent food and travel to work

These schemes are good but they only work if the yong person is able to live at home. For me I found the years between 16 and 18 in employment really tough as was earning so little as had no support from my parents it was eithr sink or swim .

Littletree

Sounds tough little tree, I was lucky enough to still stay at home until I was 19.

I did have to pay £10 digs and £7 on the bus, so yts wage was worth £12.50 a week to me lol.

but like you I had other irons in the fire.:)

Rent boy??????:001_huh:

:001_tt2:

I also did yts in joinery for the local council, this in turn , turned into an apprenticeship. But due to other issues i left the council afterwards and went into other things. But i still think there is room for another yts scheme to help both young people who want to learn and businesses to grow.

Pete, i also agree with your statement, found out today that my wifes uncle has just got a council bungalow in a posh village where if you were to buy the property it would be at least 220k, he has only ever worked for 2yrs his whole life (hes in his fifties now). He says he deserves this place, as everyone should be able to live wherever they like,regardless of whether they work or not.

I had three lads on YTS in '87. One was useless. In fact he was so bad I was paid to keep him by the authority. The other two were good lads and I kept them on fulltime. One is now a consultant and the other still in the business and doing well.

i intend to take my boy on an apprenticeship when he leaves ( he's 12 atm) but would take another one in the meantime if his training was paid for.

it'd break my heart ( and his legs) if i spent 4 or 5K training someone up for him to turn round in a couple of years and leave !!!!

put one of my lads through his 30/31 earlier this year and he's done nowt but moan about his wages ever since. even though he's not far off climbers money anyway !!!

I started doing a YTS 6 months after leaving school cause the farm work dried up a bit and it seemed to be a case of get them youngun's on a course no matter what.

Started an engineering course but it was not what it should have been, I ended up working the injection moulding and extruder machines rather than being in the tool room.:bored:.

After eight months that was it sun was shining and needed to get outside so got a job on a wholesale nursery and never looked back.:biggrin:

I was chatting with some other tradesman the other day and we all started our careers the same way, with a YTS scheme.:001_smile:

To those that havent heard of it (young uns) we got paid £29.50 less if your over 40 now and on the second year £39.50

This was only 20 years ago and everyone of my mates had or could get a job.

Even back then the money wasnt great but it got you a start, went to college and the boss got free workers so there was never a time you were left alone to do loads of work:biggrin:

This would be great for employers, employees and customers to get the wheels turning.

I was never an employer under these schemes, if any one on here was, how was it for business?:001_cool:

Cannington college are running Apprenticeships in Arboriculture a bit like the old YTS , I think its run over 3 years with a wide range of units to suit the student, Mike Cullen is the programme manager hes a really good chap to know, i think the money is still only about £2.50 per h and a bit more if your over 19 its not great money bit its a first rug on the ladder and low cost labour, the biggest prob i can see is in insurance for the youngns . www.bridgwater.ac.uk>News