Rope Wrench feedback

Yes, it was away from the trunk or else it would have been easy. Thats my point.

I know exactly what you're talking about Rupe. I've spent the last two days dismantling a Monterey Pine, so it was a maze of limbs and branches. It would have been a DRT hell.

I had a few occasions trying to return up and over a branch and I'll admit, it's no joke, I found it quite hard.

I found that a technique involving a little swing out and a well timed punt on the Pantin would enable me to slide the RW and hitch up past the branch. I think I'd have one forearm against the branch for a moment in order to maintain a bit of space from the branch.

It's still quite physical but the alternative is DRT, redirected through a double pulley hanging under the aforementioned branch. No thanks! :thumbdown:

It's worth persevering with and just keep reminding yourself that you are we're beginners again, on this system. It's defo more energy efficient.:thumbup1:

Been using the wrench at work for a while now, and whilst I appreciate it's merits, I don't think it's applicable to every job. I'm normally a lockjack man, and I love the self tending and minute position altering ability of the lj, but it doesn't seem possible to replicate this with the wrench.

Don't get me wrong,i am loving the wrench, but I can't see it becoming my only climbing system

I agree, I was on a LJ for nearly eight years before the RW. The minute positioning and self tending is what makes the LJ such a sublime product. It's not possible to replicate this with the RW and that it why you have to adapt your technique.

I have found on the LJ I would get myself into position then make tiny adjustments. Can't do that on the RW!

So instead I've learnt to look ahead to the position I'll need to be in and adjust my hitch to the appropriate place on my rope then I'll be in the right place. It's almost like doing everything the opposite way round. Certainly works though and I'm not as tired afterwards. :thumbup1:

I've got my three strand in the shed, good nick too! And my old GQ harness with no legstraps, maybe I should e bay ALL my fancy gear and just get on with it, should be fine until my AA re assessment!!!

i see you had put up your AA approved on your facebook page....nice one for that mate....:thumbup:

still not ordered my RW yet but am really looking forward to using it when i do, be nice to put some of my input into this thread to, saying that, by the time i get it looks like we will be all climbing on bailing twine, and granny knots?:sneaky2::biggrin:

In the situation you mention Rupe you could try this. Hand ascender with a foot loop attached above the branch. Take the weight on the foot loop, as you stand up the unicender or rope RW will self tend as you have your lanyard over your shoulder.

You could also use the pantin.

i see you had put up your AA approved on your facebook page....nice one for that mate....:thumbup:

still not ordered my RW yet but am really looking forward to using it when i do, be nice to put some of my input into this thread to, saying that, by the time i get it looks like we will be all climbing on bailing twine, and granny knots?:sneaky2::biggrin:

Thank you.

Might very well have a RW for sale soon!

You should bring it to one of the shows Rupe, we could all have a sweating competition having a mini comp.

We could all wear light grey t-shirts.

It would be an arb version of the volleyball scene in Top Gun.

Can you imagine!! No shirts, and plenty of baby oil!!

Lol, I am not sure if SRT saves energy from DDRT in terms of just normal everyday climbing. The problem that SRT solves is not so much in the energy expenditure. I find SRT to be quite athletic sometimes and it is faster, not necessarily easier. I think dDRT is better for some people and situations. I like it when I am carrying a really big saw. Or I go straight to a three to one. Its all about the redirect though. I used to watch the really good climbers at the comps set crazy redirects so they could work good rope angles, its redirects all day.

I cant stress how important it is to set a bomber hitch though. Letting slack into your system should be avoided always. Slack in SRT is different than slack in dDRT. Slack in SRT it is twice as important to tend.

Really test to see if the tether tangles does it cause hitch disfunction

I have found that the best way to tend the VT is to tend it by the braids. I footlock sometimes holding above the hitch with one hand and with the other hand on the braids of my VT. That is what I am doing in the cat rescue video. SRT can give you a hell of a work out if thats what your looking for. Advantages and disadvantages. Maybe Ascend DDRT and work SRT. I do that much more often than vise a versa.

it seems to me that people are finding problems that dont really exist, ie redirecting being the major one it seems

do people not plan a route through the tree using Ddrt. I often redirect though crotches and retrive my gear by pulling it back through the crotch by pulling the tail of my rope. i thinned x2 oaks today and at no point did i think it would be easier on a srt workpostioning system. i however accessed both trees using srt