Rope Wrench feedback

What did you us to make the tether?

One of these.... Lyon tape sling (rescue) 20cm | F R Jones and Son with a few wraps of gaffer tape followed by two layers of heat shrink. It's completely rigid and actually quite a good length, only slight complaint is the sling's a bit wide for the RW but it fits ok.

Nice one WorcsWuss.

Just keep an eye on the pulley cheeks cutting into the hitch cord on the eye2eye.

I thought the same, that's one of the advantages of Adam's whippell set up on the hc pulley.... The eyes will snug round a bit further on the rock-o crab, it's the widest one I had spare in my box.... Nice krab actually....

Simon you don't ever want to use the wrench to engage the hitch you need a shorter hitch cord tied so it grabs every time, that thether needs to be longer, you can just use a small bit of elastic with a micro biner to tend the wrench it's small simple and tucks under your t shirt when not in use.

Tommy, you can splice this tethers up using hollow braid pretty easily, just getting the lengths of the legs right is the tricky part.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Simon you don't ever want to use the wrench to engage the hitch you need a shorter hitch cord tied so it grabs every time, that thether needs to be longer, you can just use a small bit of elastic with a micro biner to tend the wrench it's small simple and tucks under your t shirt when not in use.

Tommy, you can splice this tethers up using hollow braid pretty easily, just getting the lengths of the legs right is the tricky part.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

I think I put that wrong Ewan, the hitch grabs fine but to descend I found it easier to tip the wrench back onto the hitch to release it to reduce the friction in the system, made the descent much smoother. Just releasing the hitch leaving the wrench engaged was a bit jerky, the tip of the wrench pulled down to the hitch. It may be that this is the right way to do it anyway....:001_huh:

I think you're right about the tether, another 100mm might be what's needed (unless of course I'm doing it right already in which case i'll stick with this 20cm one)

Quite like the idea of one of these to clip into to tend the hitch, rather than anything round my neck. Chest harness - Octo

I think I put that wrong Ewan, the hitch grabs fine but to descend I found it easier to tip the wrench back onto the hitch to release it to reduce the friction in the system, made the descent much smoother. Just releasing the hitch leaving the wrench engaged was a bit jerky, the tip of the wrench pulled down to the hitch. It may be that this is the right way to do it anyway....:001_huh:

I think you're right about the tether, another 100mm might be what's needed (unless of course I'm doing it right already in which case i'll stick with this 20cm one)

Quite like the idea of one of these to clip into to tend the hitch, rather than anything round my neck. Chest harness - Octo

NOOO the wrench should never ever be used to engage the hitch, the hitch should be short enough and the thether long enough that when you stop the hitch grabs at the same time the wrench engages if its jerky its your hitch that needs sorting.

In this video kevin describes what the wrench shouldnt do, [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFUXXHNzMJ0]SINGING TREE ROPE WRENCH - Safety Concepts - YouTube[/ame]

This shows how the system should engage

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhQTBe2OPvQ]Zk-2 rope wrench w stiff tether - YouTube[/ame]

Hey Worcwuss,

I have only used the Zk-1 this past year and I am glad you asked this question because I have experienced that clunky feeling as well! I played with different hitch cord brands, different lenghts, diameter, and types of splices even. Currently I use 10mm Beeline approximately 26" tied instead of spliced because I like that it grips better than spliced on a VT. IMO! Don't get me wrong I am still a just a novice just thought I would chime in! I climb on Samson Vortex now and love it with the RW! Very smooth but would love to own/try the ZK-2! Cheers!