Rope Wrench feedback

So are you using a base anchor and going through a natural crotch, or, using a Alpine butterfly and using a top anchor? Or what?

Do you also have some one else on site who is also competent in srt?

I'm working with some new fellas who have not been exposed to any of these techniques and are used to using minimal gear.

Been teaching them simple redirects on ddrt and a couple of new knots, don't want to over load them.

I have had a Rope Wrench for a few weeks now,... I found that it takes alot of the fun out of climbing for me as the process feels unnatural ...:

Ewan, that was a very good post and described the way that many feel when trying out SRT after having climbed years on DdRT, myself included.

I would like to encourage you to keep at it. All the wonderful and natural feeling movements of DdRT took years to develop and master. Virtually all of your climbing, planning and positioning are dependent on that 2:1 arm- assisted movement. It will take time to overcome muscle memory and practice to appreciate how to best utilize the strong points of SRT work positioning.

Why bother? I get this often from climbers that argue that DdRT already can do anything that needs to be done in a tree, and it can but at the cost of early retirement due to arm-related overuse injuries.

Tree workers use their arms and upper bodies a lot even without climbing the rope. Relying on arm strength for movement as well, is a major contributor to this overuse damage.

Properly executed SRT work positioning will place a greater lode on other, larger muscle groups. Even though it can be difficult to transition, it is worth it.

Dave

So are you using a base anchor and going through a natural crotch, or, using a Alpine butterfly and using a top anchor? Or what?

Do you also have some one else on site who is also competent in srt?

I'm working with some new fellas who have not been exposed to any of these techniques and are used to using minimal gear.

Been teaching them simple redirects on ddrt and a couple of new knots, don't want to over load them.

Good questions that I'll answer in order.

I'm usually using an alpine butterfly rather than base anchor. First reason is it makes the system a lot less bouncy. Second, I use a triangular maillon attached the the butterfly and then put the tail in. Otherwise the entire tail has to be threaded through the butterfly. Third reason is I'm uncomfortable with the idea of a falling branch or lump hitting the rope that is under tension.

Both my employees climb DRT so I now feel its important to have one of their ropes up as an access line.

Both of them are relatively inexperienced climbers as well so I feel the access line/rescue system should be something they are used to.

Well, the inevitable happened! Working the final stages of an ash dismantle, finished job and whilst tidying my rope the quick release pin came out. Somewhere in the saw dust never to be seen again.

Does anyone happen to have a spare as Honey Brothers are no longer offering the pin with key ring and button. They can order in from the states bu it may take a while. They are only offering the streamlines pin as the other has been deemed as bulky.

I will reimburse with English pounds if anyone can help me out.

Well, the inevitable happened! Working the final stages of an ash dismantle, finished job and whilst tidying my rope the quick release pin came out. Somewhere in the saw dust never to be seen again.

Does anyone happen to have a spare as Honey Brothers are no longer offering the pin with key ring and button. They can order in from the states bu it may take a while. They are only offering the streamlines pin as the other has been deemed as bulky.

I will reimburse with English pounds if anyone can help me out.

Good luck with that mate, I can re order them but again from the states!

Good questions that I'll answer in order.

I'm usually using an alpine butterfly rather than base anchor. First reason is it makes the system a lot less bouncy. Second, I use a triangular maillon attached the the butterfly and then put the tail in. Otherwise the entire tail has to be threaded through the butterfly. Third reason is I'm uncomfortable with the idea of a falling branch or lump hitting the rope that is under tension.

Both my employees climb DRT so I now feel its important to have one of their ropes up as an access line.

Both of them are relatively inexperienced climbers as well so I feel the access line/rescue system should be something they are used to.

Thanks that helps me out alot. I'll work out some way of making the anchor midline attachable either with a maillon or other. I know aluminium carabiners are a no go for being side loaded but is it alright to use steel ones?

Thanks that helps me out alot. I'll work out some way of making the anchor midline attachable either with a maillon or other. I know aluminium carabiners are a no go for being side loaded but is it alright to use steel ones?

There is a safe way to anchor midline and that by tying a bowline on a bight (BOAB) which gives you 2 loops that go either side of the other part of the line. The krab goes through both loops and doesn't pull onto the limb or get cross loaded. I'll put some pics up later when I get back from work.

Ewan, that was a very good post and described the way that many feel when trying out SRT after having climbed years on DdRT, myself included. Dave

Thanks Dave yeah im all up for making my life easier i by no means would right the Wrench off making it is an issue of time thanks for the reply mate. :thumbup1:

Ewan