Rope Wrench feedback

Hi kevin. I'm using marlow boa hitch cord and new england 13mm hi vee. I weigh about 13st. I did have the wrench fully open to start with, so obviously there would be more weight on the hitch than the rw.

I found that once I had cracked the hitch off, the rw would take up more weight and the hitch would be ok until the next ascent. Then I'd have to go through the same again.

I think this may have been caused by the way I set the rw after ascent. Maybe I should've set it higher, to take more straight off, without needing to descend slightly to engage the wrench fully? It is quite awkward to move the wrench fully up when you have your weight on a pantin.

I find that I like a VT 3 wraps, 3 braids, with 4 wraps, it binds sometimes too ;)

8mm OP green tied to length with a dbl fisherman's works best for me.

you'll only be able to move the wrench up as far as you bridge allows while on the pantin since it has pulled all the slack out.

I was just using a valdotain, not vt so it was only wraps, no braids. I started with four wraps and moved onto five. I'll have a play with different hitch combos during the week.

Do you find when you raise the rw then put your weight on there is a bit of sit back and the wrench isn't in the full descent position? Or does it not need to be unless you are descending?

Hi kevin. I'm using marlow boa hitch cord and new england 13mm hi vee. I weigh about 13st. I did have the wrench fully open to start with, so obviously there would be more weight on the hitch than the rw.

I found that once I had cracked the hitch off, the rw would take up more weight and the hitch would be ok until the next ascent. Then I'd have to go through the same again.

I think this may have been caused by the way I set the rw after ascent. Maybe I should've set it higher, to take more straight off, without needing to descend slightly to engage the wrench fully? It is quite awkward to move the wrench fully up when you have your weight on a pantin.

Try a different cord, the Boa is pretty soft and of course so is the NE Hi vee so will grip very well.

Armour pruss works well with my srt line. Feels quite smooth, although to be fair i haven't had a chance to give it a real bash other than a few quick 'getting to learn it' climbs.

ok ok ok, this is hurting my head! I'm a seasoned spiderjack user, i don't even own a hitch climber haha, one or 2 questions, first, I'm crap at throw lining, its a fact and my company all know it, how is climbing a tree that i can't just shoot a throw line up into like to climb with the rw, do i have to choke the line as i ascend up, using a pantin? also has anyone actually tried a spiderjack with a rw, if so i would love some pictures, i can see so many benefits to RW its just that first climb up the tree I'm confused over, once the rope is set in the top, its look great, ascent would be easy with frog system or something I'm sure