Rope Wrench feedback

I certainly found this the most challenging new skill to learn. You have two options. First, do what you just described. Second, put a descender & karab on the rope before you start the limb walk so you have a3-1 system to help you return.

I did this at first and it's perfect but my technique rapidly improved and I have not bothered with it for a couple of months now.

Get one now! :thumbup1:

Thanks Oldmilltrees, makes sense for the 3:1 but does that not take a huge amount of time to set up for every limb. If it was me i would just have to grunt and bear the 1:1. or at least try it out for a while as i couldnt be bothered with the time taken to set it up for every branch. Still im young and fit so i cant see why this should be a major problem, doesnt seem to of put a majority of the people from this thread off. Plus it does look super cool:001_cool:

Thanks Oldmilltrees, makes sense for the 3:1 but does that not take a huge amount of time to set up for every limb. If it was me i would just have to grunt and bear the 1:1. or at least try it out for a while as i couldnt be bothered with the time taken to set it up for every branch. Still im young and fit so i cant see why this should be a major problem, doesnt seem to of put a majority of the people from this thread off. Plus it does look super cool:001_cool:

It doesn't take much time to set up, just slap the ascender on the line, clip your tail into the ascender and out you go. Looking back it was just a stepping stone for me until my technique and confidence built.

If you don't have an ascender yet I would strongly recommend the Kong one, the one with the open handle. Reason is its slim when on the back of your harness. It's not worth getting a really comfy ISC or Petzl because you'll use it very little, unless you're climbing 70m trees every day.

A Petzl Pantin is essential unless you are Footlock Flatters. :laugh1:

Also, get good at throw lining although I found that its actually impossible so I got a Big Shot. :thumbup1:

Anyone using natural crotch redirects? I've got two revolvers with tape slings, but when there has been a nice crotch I've gone for that. I'm finding its massively wearing my rope, not good!

The other option of crab/revolver seems ok, but its a very tight bend radius for the rope, particularly on a single leg of rope, even more so when putting a full load on it. Anyone finding the same things? I may start using something bigger for redirects, micro pulleys were my first thought. Any ideas?

Dmm revolver, sling and i use the Stein oval as you saw on my kit at the game fair i find the oval allows better tensioning of the sling. Natuiral crothces if avaliable but only if im just poping out along the limb not leaving it in all ady as such.

So natural for a quick by pass otherwise sling and revolver for long term.

It doesn't take much time to set up, just slap the ascender on the line, clip your tail into the ascender and out you go. Looking back it was just a stepping stone for me until my technique and confidence built.

If you don't have an ascender yet I would strongly recommend the Kong one, the one with the open handle. Reason is its slim when on the back of your harness. It's not worth getting a really comfy ISC or Petzl because you'll use it very little, unless you're climbing 70m trees every day.

A Petzl Pantin is essential unless you are Footlock Flatters. :laugh1:

Also, get good at throw lining although I found that its actually impossible so I got a Big Shot. :thumbup1:

Ive already got the pantin and hand ascender from petzl, i think the pantin is probably my best ever purchase. What a differnce to your day with that tiny little helper strapped to your boot. In regards to the throw line i do allways get the branch im after it just depends weather i get it first try or i could still be there for half an hour:blushing:

We also have a big shot and its amazing:thumbup1: however we only use it on tall jobs as its abit big to carry for anything less than 50ft i find.

Dmm revolver, sling and i use the Stein oval as you saw on my kit at the game fair i find the oval allows better tensioning of the sling. Natuiral crothces if avaliable but only if im just poping out along the limb not leaving it in all ady as such.

So natural for a quick by pass otherwise sling and revolver for long term.

How come you use the revolver if your rope isnt running. Would a normal biner be ok?

How come you use the revolver if your rope isnt running. Would a normal biner be ok?

It's just smoother I I think I,m right in saying it was developed for rock climbing on single line so ideally suited to this application.

It's just smoother I I think I,m right in saying it was developed for rock climbing on single line so ideally suited to this application.

Agreed. Even though the rope isn't running it still moves up and down as body weight comes on and off the rope. A revolver ensures no wear on the rope, and looks sexy.

I've also been using one of those new Skylotec karabs, you know the dodgy lookin one. It's just so easy to manipulate the gate at any angle even with my wrong hand.

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?5zg04n

• 2 weeks later...
I spoke to Justin beginning of the week to order mind and he said the new one is ce marked and a slight change in design ie smoother corners etc. hopefully be in stock in a couple of weeks

May be a bit longer now, and the CE mark will take longer then I first thought. I'll keep you informed as to when it ill be here.:001_smile: