Rope Wrench feedback

I tried it but found i pulled the wrench into an upright position between movements which, to be honest i didnt like. I preferred adding a pulley below the wrench on line instead rather than adding it to the tether point.

I clip the ascender, via a tether the the middle clip in my hitch climber. Works nicely but I am aware that all my weight is on the ascender. The idea is that if I used a bungee and I had a slip or my anchor moved, the bungee would stretch and the wrench/hitch would engage rather that shocking the ascender.

I clip the ascender, via a tether the the middle clip in my hitch climber. Works nicely but I am aware that all my weight is on the ascender. The idea is that if I used a bungee and I had a slip or my anchor moved, the bungee would stretch and the wrench/hitch would engage rather that shocking the ascender.

For the same kind of reasons i use the ascender as a separate part of my kit so if theres a fall the Wrench engages and the ascender is left on the line with low risk of shredding the line.

After seeing drews drop test with grabs im always conscious of it

Here you go i hope you can see but the bungee seemed to flip it into the freefall position which wasnt nice to see.

Ian, I'm intrigued by the pulley idea. Is it smooth? It must depend on tether length?

I'll try it out today!

Your comment about toothed cams and not clipping into them....has there been a toothed device designed for tree work?

These days I set my line through a cambium saver so it's back to isolating branches again, which I enjoy plus I was shown a cool 'always carry two throw cubes' trick and its easy peasy to set. This means that my anchor points have lost their tenuousness but I'll not clip into the ascension all the same. I'll post a picture of my current set-up.

http://db.tt/5Vplt4h5

Kong's 'duck' doesn't, for me anyway, work on new england safety blue/hi-vee or samson arbormaster and it gives me the impression that all 16 strand may not work. It slips until you engage the cam manually, so useless as a back up.

It workes well on tachyon. The shackle keeps the duck from swinging too close to the hitch climber.

I use an ascension and footloop for ease of climbing, not for life support, likewise with the inimitable pantin.

What do you think?

Here you go i hope you can see but the bungee seemed to flip it into the freefall position which wasnt nice to see.

Yes that's clear Ian. So photo one is a piece of black elastic holding the RW upside down so in the event of a slip you could end up hanging off the elastic and hand ascender. Worrying.

Then pic 2, looks good but is the pulley essential or would it work with the snap gate karab direct on the rope instead? I'm just thinking of making it less fiddly.

Ok, you guys are making me nervous. The RW should have no bearing on weather or not your hitch grabs on a set back movement. You should be able to remove the RW from the line and still have the hitch grab every time by it self. If you are not using an independently and reliably grabbing hitch your setup is not safe to climb on.

But maybe I've misinterpreted your comments?

Dave

Ok, you guys are making me nervous. The RW should have no bearing on weather or not your hitch grabs on a set back movement. You should be able to remove the RW from the line and still have the hitch grab every time by it self. If you are not using an independently and reliably grabbing hitch your setup is not safe to climb on.

But maybe I've misinterpreted your comments?

Dave

Misinterpret or not it's the most important consideration.

Did anybody test a lockjack on a single line in a factor one and two yet?