Rope Wrench feedback

Yes, I have used SRT for access for many years, not all the time but often. Or I use double ascenders and a pantin on double rope fixed with Alpine butterfly. Once up the tree, I can see that working your way down with a rw is a nice way to work, but if going up,down, up down all day long SRT sucks! Taking a few seconds to convert to up, then a few more to convert to down, LOTS and adding ascenders, is all slow, even if it takes seconds thats too slow.

Yeah, Ive always climbed the tree wherever possible. I find I do that a lot more in SRT and not climbing the rope. THe only time Ill use LOTS is the initial ascent up into the tree and thats only if its over 30 feet really. After that its all the tree hopefull and maybe a little footlocking or pantin ing around for short hops.

Where are thse tree that you can climb the tree and not the rope? Every tree is more than 30 to access apart from little ones that dont need any fancy gear anyway.

Its very rare that I do a tree that is like a climbing frame/ladder. If I was then WR would make more sense, less slack to pull through, but for actual full size trees I'm struggling, and small stuff I dont need it, so still struggling with the concept.

Not finished trying it yet though!

Don't worry Rupe, I think you're not alone. If i had to keep putting the hand ascender on I wouldn't bother with SRT.

I only use it for the long ascents, usually initial access and just Pantin or footlock up the rest of the time.

I'm actually finding it quite physical using SRT on bigger trees I'm sure that's due to using different muscles and my body will soon adjust.

For me, it's all about initial access and the redirects.

I find the hand ascender is just another tool in the bag that comes out when needed, no use it stays in the bag. A lot of redirects and forks can be simply managed by pushing away from the fork. SRT is a great system but I think it's not for everybody!

When you guys refer to srt, are you referring to srt with the rw. I'd only use the rw for medium ascents anything bigger I bring out the normal srt kit. Otherwise I'd be exhausted. I think it's great, but I'm with Rupe I don't want to have to attach ascenders for branch walking, means more kit on the harness and losing the flow of the climb.

Ian I would be interested to know how you would deal with the kind of situation Rupe is talking about i.e rope against the limb and all your weight on the rope, I set the very same scenario and nearly ruptured something trying to get over it.

Either footlock the line and use my hand to clear the stem or my more favored method, clip a hand asecnder with footloop above the limb and step up freeing the system below the limb. I tend to plan my routes with false anchors a lot now so i rarely have this situation unfold. Since getting into my head i have constant friction i have found a revolver and small sling invaluable. I rarely put a pantin or have a hand ascender now just footlock up the line. :thumbup:

The use of hand ascenders for coming in off a branch walk I should have said, the method that's described for those more delicate branch walks.

So Ian you'd actually rather do little footlocks over a pantin. I thought we were moving away from foot locking. Could you put an ascender below the rw, or a double one to make it more comfortable

Got to work on my srt frog walk but like this method of scaling some of the larger trees & ones that have little scaffold until near the top. Have given the rw a go on a few thins & reductions.

As I climb both the tree & rope in probably equal measures in ddrt I use foot locking ddrt alot through mid air fork drop through re directs I have found the concept of using small sling & crab a little further out from the fork easy to get my head around. However I don't find it any quicker (at the mo) or any less physically demanding (all gives have a take hidden some place). Limb walks are much the same apart from longer higher ones where I will use my rope to support my weight on return which is alot harder in srt because of the mechanical advantage loss in ddrt (I have a simple crab & lock bit to create a mech advantage in srt) this takes time to install & most of the time I would have been out, cut & back in.

Assents on the pantin for re direct retrieval is ok now & then but I can see my right leg becoming as big as my waist in the long term. I know foot locking strains other parts & it's a good habit to change feet but I feel I am using more muscles than just one leg with this method.

For a congested crown & simple re directs within the srt rw combo is great. Some dismantles its great, but I am not yet converted to this as my sole system & cant see me doing so. The rw like many other gadgets out their has its place in the right place & is up to the individual using them to find what that is & how it suits their style.

I am still enjoying this new world of srt though & any hints & help that any one could give is much appreciated (oh & I have read most of the previous posts & found them very useful) If I see the light I too will share:001_smile: