Rope Wrench feedback

Today I had to remove a torn limb from the top of a Corsican Pine. I am still quite nervous about small movements while out on limbs as I have not yet got used to walking 'on' the branches instead of on my rope.

I decided to try an HC set up as I'm not happy with the way the LJ sits when advancing it up the rope. I haven't been on a hitch for nearly 8yrs but surprisingly I loved it with the RW.

I used a VT tied really short to minimise sit back and I've put a DMM thimble on the wrench for ascending with LOTS.

It seems that with the VT tied short the whole thing was quite rigid and in line, so advancing it up the rope while on limbs was very easy. I found it much easier than with the LJ.

I've still got to play around with the RW tether length to see what effect, if any, it has.

Mostly I've got to improve my technique so that my confidence improves. On the whole though, it's already getting easier than DRT.

I gave mine a go today, i used Hc, vt, setup fairly short but there seems to be alot of friction on the hitch, so I tried different cords and hitches but still a fair bit of friction it certainly isnt smooth, I'm climbing on my 11.5 srt rope, would a thicker rope make things smoother?

I have also found that I work the hitch different than in ddrt. With the wrench, I open the hitch and hold the rope. You can in a sence help the hitch and the wrench with your hand. You can do this more than in ddrt because the rope isnt flying at such a high speed. In ddrt if you were to slide it through your hand it would burn you. In SRT your hand can control the rope a little more. By using the hand a little I can prevent the hitch from binding up. For long, direct, mid air descents, I think adding some friction is not a bad idea. either with your other hand, your leg, or other descent device. THe wrench does not provide near the friction as an eight or rack, etc.

I decided to try an HC set up as I'm not happy with the way the LJ sits.

I then realised that a HC is where its at BOOM!

I knew you'd come around in the end:001_tt2:

I have to admit the more i hear about the RW srt postioning set-up the more i'm actually intrested in trying it.

Of course i'll do it with my trusty HC set-up but will probably go back to 13mm rope as I prefer the to grip this, I personally hate the small diameter lines for grip just like them as they are lighter to drag around the tree, An SRT work system though only has half the line and no running friction so why use a small diameter line is there a real advantage I am missing?

I knew you'd come around in the end:001_tt2:

I have to admit the more i hear about the RW srt postioning set-up the more i'm actually intrested in trying it.

Of course i'll do it with my trusty HC set-up but will probably go back to 13mm rope as I prefer the to grip this, I personally hate the small diameter lines for grip just like them as they are lighter to drag around the tree, An SRT work system though only has half the line and no running friction so why use a small diameter line is there a real advantage I am missing?

I could be completely wrong here as I'm still so new to SRT.

Climbing SRT there isn't the requirement to grip the rope as you're either climbing the tree and just tending the hitch up the rope or you're in and out of your Pantin constantly, therefore pushing with your strong leg muscles and using hands on rope for stability.

That's the beauty, no grunting up a rope on small arm muscles.

Just before Xmas I changed from 13mm to 12mm on DRT and found a massive difference in my ability to grip the rope. Now on SRT the 12mm isn't a problem at all.

In fact it's also easier to get in the Pantin and ascender.

There only seems to be disadvantage to thicker rope for SRT systems. All the SRT veterans on here are using 10-11.5mm static ropes.

Also static ropes seem to only come in small diameter anyway.

personally marc i found the 13mm created too much friction running through the wrench

Hmm ok, shame as I tried some of the new Samson Vortex first impression is its a nice 13mm climbing that is very static with little give.