crane prices

Drayton tree care

Crane companies will have different prices for 'crane hire' or 'contract lift'. With crane hire you are responsible for the whole operation from when the driver leaves the depot until return. Contract lift - the crane company is responsible. Make sure you know which one you are signing for on the company's paperwork. I personally go for 'contract lift', costs more but at least I'm not responsible if the driver has an accident on the way to the job!

Edited by Greg
formatting

£800 + a day down in Crawley, phone around for prices & also check with the companies that they have experience with tree dismantle.

That would swing it for me more than cost (within reason!).

I would also ask if they are happy to use soft rigging rather than chains.

Get pics!:thumbup1:

it also depends on the size of the crane and the company your using . my advice would be to speak to a crane hire compant and get them to come out to site and assess if it is possible to get the right size crane onto the site , trust me ! i have had the joy of trying to take down a tree with a crane that was not big enough = not fun . when i say not big enough i mean that crane was on the limmits of lifting at such a reach .

Good luck

Crane companies will have different prices for 'crane hire' or 'contract lift'. With crane hire you are responsible for the whole operation from when the driver leaves the depot until return. Contract lift - the crane company is responsible. Make sure you know which one you are signing for on the company's paperwork. I personally go for 'contract lift', costs more but at least I'm not responsible if the driver has an accident on the way to the job!

I believe contract lift is the way to go.

:thumbup1:

It’s always amusing when they send a slinger as part of the package, worth watching his face when you point at what needs slinging and hand him a rope and harness.

:lol:

We use cranes on a regular basis for our steel erecting. All of our ercting work is sub let so contract lift and crane hire don't affect us.

The main difference between the two is who the responsibilty lies with should there be an accident- contract lift should absolve you of anything going wrong ie crane toppling over etc. Crane hire gets you just that and you become respobsible for it, including sizing the thing, checkiong ground conditions are sufficient etc, providing lifting plans etc. Beware crane hire companies that offer insurance- it's only covering damage to the crane, not much else.

Personally I think it's all a bit of a scam to make more money- on face value the crane supplier should have liability insurance as would the hirer and between them all bases should be covered. However some bright spark decided that they'd offer the package of "contract lift" that basically included everything that they should be doing and charge a premium for it! Unfortunately I'm not aware of any court case where this has actually been tried, so it looks like you're stuck with contract lift or take the chance with a basic hire.

As regards price shop around. Pre recession crane hire companies could pretty much name their prices. Now there are an awful lot of places with cranes sitting idle that need finacing- look to be paying £6-800 tops for a contract lift with a 25 tonne truck mounted unit, certainly not into 4 figures unless the crane is particularly large.

ATB

Andy

Edited by weldersunited