Interesting reading...

John Hancock

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Provision and use of work equipment regs.

Management of health and safety at work regs.

It is not the No fee'ers fault. This is why operators should be given training prior to using equipment. It is the whole point of the chainsaw courses, IMHO it is not a good idea for you to "teach" them saw/ climbing first. Let them have a period of consolidation after training before assessment, that is a great idea.

This story gives the link between your certificate of competence, and the law. You have been warned in black and white by someone elses misfortune/ mistake.

I find it very awkward and difficult to stand in line with the blade, natural work positioning dictates you standing to the left side if you are right handed and visa versa

not sure what visa versa means as your only supposed to use it right handed anyway even if your naturally a lefty

If he had done is basic unit he should have been aware of kickback. The units for larger saws don't cover crosscutting. Sounds to me like he was to keen to get his hands on the mens tools. If someone had have been stood by him,would they have stopped the saw kicking back? don't think so

End of the day you can't beat experience,

End of the day you can't beat experience,

I think we have it right there.

No ammount of training or experiance will completly eliminate the risk of kick back.There are to many factors that can cause it.The size of the saw and log in question are irrelevent in my opinion,bad technique sounds like the cause here,and that can cause injury with a 088 or a silky.