proper pruning 75' tulip

dadio

I make the best effort ALL the time, not just when it suits!

The only thing that bugs me from your posts is that you pigeon hole everybody into being incapable just because we don't do it like you:001_rolleyes:

Your attitude stinks and until you change it not many people will listen!

Sent from Rob's GalaxySII

Edited by RobArb

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason I try not to leave stubs is from what I have seen and witnessed first hand is you will often get dormant buds bursting from the stubs also encouraging more epicormic growth on a whole in the crown that is imo weaker and unsightly and what I would be trying to get away from for future regrowth in the end result of pruning a tree. Somes times itsimpossible to not get and epicormic reaction but when stubs have been left I have seen limbs with massive bud explosion that seemed to be stimulated by the stub...oh and then there is the compartmentalising issue!

Before pic of scycamore

http://28dd7fad.jpgAim on this tree was it was a pollard well out of cycle so had weakness at base of the main primary limbs so reduce wind sale... Repolarding was not an option but one I gave they choose reducing without spoiling the tree char actor also it was apparently ruining the thatch..

The ash I have redone once and will probably go on re reducing every 4 years

This is 4 years regrowth, not exactly the perfect solution but it's less damaging to the tree structure as Daniel pointed out and the client is happy to re do it at every 4 years so the tree will not out grow and dominate his garden.

http://814a7963.jpg

Thanks for that Matty, sounds like an ideal management scenario, client who likes trees, has money and an arb. who knows how to do a good job. Thought it was a pollard.

:thumbup:

I have to say it's this sort of work is what gives me the buzz about Arb still!

Not trying to state anything bit my own experience of how i take it is but from my experience if you watch how a tree die back or naturally entrenches it self in old age or damage in hedge rows woodland or were ever !! That is the best way to learn how to prune trees, by trying to mimic that of nature not pruning books,Teaching clients is another thing ! Being turned on by money or what's best for the tree to what a customer

wants is a hard compromise, think vids like daniels would be good to show prospective clients with bad ideas!

The reason I try not to leave stubs is from what I have seen and witnessed first hand is you will often get dormant buds bursting from the stubs also encouraging more epicormic growth on a whole in the crown that is imo weaker and unsightly and what I would be trying to get away from for future regrowth in the end result of pruning a tree. Somes times itsimpossible to not get and epicormic reaction but when stubs have been left I have seen limbs with massive bud explosion that seemed to be stimulated by the stub...oh and then there is the compartmentalising issue!

I have never seen that reaction on small stubs. Maybe on some fruite tree that has been hit hard, but certainly not onTulip..

And I have been "experimenting" with leaving stubs on different species and different sized limbs etc for some years.

In thinking about all the stubs left by homeowners, I've never seen it on their stubs either.

Perhaps I need to pay better attention..

Here's a quote from BCMA, a highly repsected author and presenter at conferences etc over here.

1 1/2" cuts do not all need to be perfectly "clean". collars not a huge deal when the tissue is very young.

Guy Meilleur

I believe there is one line about making sure the living tissue is not damaged on deadwood where there is irregular callous growth on the branch collar, which results in leaving a stub.. I have recommended changes regarding stubs in other areas, which have yet to be accepted.. Change takes time.. and is often hindered by mindsets that will not question what they have been taught.

Stubs are better than flush cuts for sure.

They do seem to produce bunches of epi, especially on Oak, but that would possibly have emerged on the butt if a 'correct' pruning cut was used?

My main reason for disliking them is their ugliness, and the fact that all amateur ladder merchants seem to use them, rather than any perceived harmfulness to the tree. Probably just my mild OCD kicking in again!