proper pruning 75' tulip

dadio

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe there is one line about making sure the living tissue is not damaged on deadwood where there is irregular callous growth on the branch collar, which results in leaving a stub.. I have recommended changes regarding stubs in other areas, which have yet to be accepted.. Change takes time.. and is often hindered by mindsets that will not question what they have been taught.

Believe me my mind is wide open, and i am open to your arguements, i just don't agree with them....

As you state about the one line, maybe on deadwood where the collar has already started to shed the dead branch leaving a stub, avoiding damage to the said collar, but this was a pruning job on live branches.

Stubs are untidy, create ooodles of bud growth OR instigate a route of entry for disease/decay/DYSFUNCTION and leaving them is generally a lazy approach IMO. I realise i will never change your mind as its stuck in state of narcissism:001_rolleyes: but from what i've read and the pruning work ive done on MANY different varieties of trees in MANY different surroundings and environments, and also what i've seen from stub leaving work, it is not the best thing for the tree.

I well trained arb should be good enough to avoid damaging the BBR without leaving a stub. I do believe you are capable of this (from your bucket at least) but instead choose to do a lazy job and use words to the effect of "revolutionary" and "research" as an excuse

Just my tuppence worth:001_tt2:

And can i just state i do believe you are a good arb and passionate about what you do, which is to be comended, just in my opinion a little misguided, especially when trying to PREACH (yes i said that) to us europeans, Its like preaching to devout athiests and at some point you are likely to get stoned. :001_tt2:

Now, back to the stubs... i'll dig out some photos and take some more of trees around where i work with stubs left on as to why it is not a good thing.

Also, in your defence, have you been back to jobs 6-12months down the line (depending on growth seasons) and re-evaluated these stubs and there condition? And without editing photos/videos in your favour (which i believe you do) can we see evidence of such?:thumbup1:

David Lonsdale was talking briefly about this at barchams, IIRC, he was saying that when pruning near the trunk, it was better to leave a stub than carry out correct pruning cuts, as the die back will be localised to the stub and 'may' not cause decay to 'flow'- occur in the main trunk.

Although, a question i ask of compliance with the new BS3998;2010.If we are to continue to sell trees as constituents and major contributors to the urban environment and if we begin to carryout pruning work that enables the tree to become a complete sealed unit, (callused over pruning wounds) then what will be the likely implication on urban ecology, if the habitats created by the work we do ( sometimes incorrectly) begins to be less so, will we be reducing the habitats that urban ecology is still very much struggling to provide in some of the harsher inner city environments?