planting tree seeds

MikeTM150

You are not mad, but why not plant them in their final position? You will need to protect the seed from predation (I would advertise for some second-hand tree shelters to save on expense) but they won't need weedkilling (well not as much as transplants).

If you do plant into tubs you will still need to protect from mice digging them out of the pots before they germinate and someone will need to keep them properly watered until planted.

Bio-security might be a problem. I planted hazel and acorns into pots and now I have forget-me-nots and heebie's growing everywhere.

Good luck.

why not plant them in their final position? You will need to protect the seed from predation but they won't need weedkilling.

Mark,

The best method to cultivate tree seeds in tubs is letting them germinate in a handfull of the top layer of forest soil from the woodlands the tree species originates from mixed with the "normal" compost to give them a quick start by associating with pioneer ectomycorrhizal symbionts (oak, beech, hornbeam, sweet chestnut, hazel) or endomycorrhizal microfungi (Acer, Aesculus).

Edited by Fungus

Dont know if you have but dry the pine cones in the house(greenhouse in summer) then they open to shed the nuts, otherwise if they sprout they have to tackle the cone as well.

If you have stacked acorns layer upon layer in tubs they root over winter and will become a tangled mess. As soon as they sprout they need spacing out. Some will be rooting now.

Edited by Goaty
clarity

I've put them in a single layer in the tub and noticed some of the acorns were shooting when i picked them up. The rest are just chucked in and see what happens.

Thats for all the help, did think it should work, i will put some of the soil from where they came around them see if that helps!!

Cheers Muchly:biggrin::thumbup:

some need vernalisation i think it was called from my college days - although im sorry i am hort and hubby is arb trained, but some seeds need a spell in the freezer, dont know if this is true for tree seeds - will have to ask hubby tonight

joy

You mean scarification??:biggrin:

Sent from Rob's GalaxySII

No, she means vernalisation :001_tt2:

vernalize or vernalise (ˈvɜːnəˌlaɪz) [Click for IPA pronunciation guide]

—vb

to subject ungerminated or germinating seeds to low temperatures, which is essential for many (plants) of temperate environments to ensure germination in some species and flowering in others

vernalise or vernalise

—vb

vernali'zation or vernalise

—n

vernali'sation or vernalise

—n

Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 10th Edition