day rate

bill

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to say this Pete, but in this area, as I think I've already posted somewhere, we have shedloads of companies, one employing 250ish arbos, shedloads of pikies (3 sites within 15 miles) a training college churning out raw (cheap) climbers every year. So I fail to see the difference on that side for driving the prices down. I saw 2 college lads the other week doing a 3 day job, with truck and chipper and grinder. They were chuffed to bollox coz they'd earned £600 for 3 days!!!! That was until I broke down their overheads. Took the shine of the job, hee-hee

Seems to be a big divide between companies to the North, and us down here. Is there a shortage of tree work, or a glut of unemployed arborists hanging about up there? There must be some kind of reason for the difference.

No shortage round here andy!

I think its partially localised how much work there is but also what work you are after. If you just want contract climbing the pays not that good generally, but if you have your own full set up and on your own,(doing small prunung jobs, hedge work, half days etc) there seems to be plenty round here.

A point that definately affects prices is the clientel- they are all different! Sometimes you can get wealthy ones that will pay, sometimes them that will not. Likewise, those that dont seem so well off can either be t**ts or give you the job just because they like you- nothing to do with price.

Its a massive lottery, all you can do is decide your price, what you are happy with and run with it, BUT NEVER NEVER settle for less than you feel you deserve!

I try not to give a day rate,i give a price for the job and stick to it,often customers are amazed at how quickly we get done,but they are alway happy to pay the price agreed.I think the fact that we come in large mog with timber tailer and loads of kit helps,they realise that they are paying for all that overhead not just labour.

Also if in an area all the firms charge low prices and try to win work on price,rates just spiral downwards.I think the way push up you're income is to add value to you'r service with higher standards and more efficient working ie, more work in less time.If you can get you're rate up the other firms will follow,if you price a job for £400 and you're competitor wins it for £350 when he is doing the job he will normally ask what the other prices were,when he next prices a similar job he will vote maybe £375 or £390 he want to beat you're price but not by much, and if the standard of you're work is better you will still win the job with a slightly higher price.

I'm not trying to tell anyone how to suck eggs i'm sure must of you know all this and more! but its just my 2 pence worth!

I think most of use offer a very professional service and deserve a good standard of living and some of the rates metioned on here are way to low IMO.MerryChistmas one and all!:cheers::cheers: