Beginner looking for saw and advice

Italiastar

hello,

I'd like to upgrade my Village Blacksmith electric saw to a good "domestic" one to cut logs for my burner. I've dismissed the £99 toys int he DIY stores and supermarkets, and am tempted by a Husky 237 or 240 (£170 / £180). Happy to consider another good brand. Do you think that the 240 would be suitable for small trees say up to 12" diameter - I guess I'll probably use it for a day or two a year.

Also any advice on how to use one - I thought I'd ask before using one and getting it wrong. Any advice would be much appreciated - thank you.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would go for the stihl domestic saws,they are great tools,also consider using Aspen 2t fuel,as it comes premixed,and if you are only using the saw now & then will not go 'sour' on you as pump fuel will after being left for a few weeks,the aspen will stay fresh for a year or so.

Most domestic saw problems are caused by bad fuel /oil mix,and the fact that pump fuel deteriorates after being left in the saw or storage can.

The husky saws are ok,but I do believe from experience that the stihl equivelent is the better saw when looking at this size of machine.

Edited by geoff
ad on.

As already said Husky or Stihl are both probably the best makers of chainsaws on the market.

As for advice on how to use one then honestly you should consider going on CS30 course. Just the thought of someone picking up a chainsaw without any prior training scares the hell out of me and these machines imo should not be sold to anyone without some proof of competency in their use.

hello,

I'd like to upgrade my Village Blacksmith electric saw to a good "domestic" one to cut logs for my burner. I've dismissed the £99 toys int he DIY stores and supermarkets, and am tempted by a Husky 237 or 240 (£170 / £180). Happy to consider another good brand. Do you think that the 240 would be suitable for small trees say up to 12" diameter - I guess I'll probably use it for a day or two a year.

Also any advice on how to use one - I thought I'd ask before using one and getting it wrong. Any advice would be much appreciated - thank you.

If you can do the CS30 course.... if you feel this is too much money try and find someone qualified to give you an over view of using a chainsaw correctly and how to maintain it.

Also chainsaw trousers, boots and helmet are essential equipment so if you don't already own them budget for buying them.

I would go for the stihl domestic saws,they are great tools,also consider using Aspen 2t fuel,as it comes premixed,and if you are only using the saw now & then will not go 'sour' on you as pump fuel will after being left for a few weeks,the aspen will stay fresh for a year or so.

Most domestic saw problems are caused by bad fuel /oil mix,and the fact that pump fuel deteriorates after being left in the saw or storage can.

The husky saws are ok,but I do believe from experience that the stihl equivelent is the better saw when looking at this size of machine.

i have had domestic stihl strimmers and saws in the past- i would not recommend them- go for a professional husky... or stihl- they will last 5 x longer, and more

i have had domestic stihl strimmers and saws in the past- i would not recommend them- go for a professional husky... or stihl- they will last 5 x longer, and more

I don't think your advise is sound, taking this statement into consideration:

I guess I'll probably use it for a day or two a year.

With two days use every year, a domestic Stihl or Huqvarna saw would last a lifetime.