Abolition of the small trailer exemption Dec 4th 2011

Niceboy

its all been blown up ,

1,if you have a yard, thats were you park it

2,you find a local haulage contractor or simlar that will do your checks

3,your on a restricked liesence

4,take out a credit card to £4k ,prove you have the funds to recover the truck

5,what extra work ???

1) If you have a yard and if the vehicle inspectorate approve it. I'm not sure a residential driveway is allowable and even if it is, if the neighbours don't like your van then this will give them a good chance to moan about it, officially.

2) See 5)

3) Not everyone will get away with a restricted licence

4) Is a credit card ok? Useful info if so, but the application fees are not cheap and you'd have to pay that back!

5) I hope you're right. I do enough running around as it is.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) If you have a yard and if the vehicle inspectorate approve it. I'm not sure a residential driveway is allowable and even if it is, if the neighbours don't like your van then this will give them a good chance to moan about it, officially.

2) See 5)

3) Not everyone will get away with a restricted licence

4) Is a credit card ok? Useful info if so, but the application fees are not cheap and you'd have to pay that back!

5) I hope you're right. I do enough running around as it is.

they never came to my place that we know off its of road & sercuire & i own it ,so no prob,i can let other use for o/l as well .you dont pay for a card that you dont use ,if you break down you fix it ,if poss,

The true villains here are not VOSA (roadside inspectors) or Thatcher. Can we keep the VOSA slanging match to the other thread.

its not going to change so get used to it..... !!!

Sigh...

Edited by Niceboy
added 'roadside inspectors'

The true villains here are not VOSA or Thatcher. Can we keep the VOSA slanging match to the other thread.

Sigh...

surely it has lots to do with vosa seeing they do advise the goverment on how to enforce road traffic regs and they also hve a fair bit of imput into the ammount of red tabe , bells ,whistles and sparkely bits that add :thumbdown:

Indeed, just been doing some google searching and found a solicitors website which says the small trailer exemption is only being abolished for 'standard' o-licence applications. Dont know much about this, but if true wouldnt most small arb/forestry operations be covered by the 'restricted' o-licence description so not affected (if the information is correct!).

And its super cheep to get a tacho fitted , and offroad parking for the transit , and everly two man band has three and a half grand in the bank just for repairs !!:confused1:

Thinks have come along ??? Yes they have , we are now screwed out of even more and expected not to complain . And people wonder why we have no industry left in this country !!!!

Personally i see this as a great way for VOSA to make a bit more money and to prove their worth of enforcing pointless regulations - there is a trm about something not being broken and not trying to fix it !!!!

it would not be so bad if simply all effected vehicles were expected to have 6 monthly mot's

i hear you,,,, to some extent i agree....... think further down the road..... will these practises make it more difficult for your most hated competition to run a 3.5 tonne truck????? you know... the not so proffesional type!!

with advances in police/vosa in car camera's the unlicensed operator is easy to spot..... yes its going to be hard, it will be a lot harder for others thou:thumbup1:

from what i can work out with searches is if you run a dual purpose 4x4 with a rear bench seat (ie double cab) and the unladen weight of the trailer is under 1020kg then it'll be O licence exempt.

I got pulled a few months ago and got a £200 fine for not running a tacho and had to get one fitted.(completely unaware i had to, its a 4x4 double cab pickup but apparently ignorance is no excuse) Fed up with this country targeting the easy target, hard working peeps to pay for the lazy gits that sponge off society! sorry rant over .