Abolition of the small trailer exemption Dec 4th 2011

Niceboy

surely it has lots to do with vosa seeing they do advise the goverment on how to enforce road traffic regs and they also hve a fair bit of imput into the ammount of red tabe , bells ,whistles and sparkely bits that add :thumbdown:

Yes you're quite right and I'd already edited my post before I saw yours!

In my opinion VOSA and the government in general did not fight hard enough against the imposition of the legislation. We just rolled over as per usual but I think that's becoming a British trait.

Apparently we were the only member state to have the exemption and therefore received no support from the others. I wonder if Luigi the Builder is as concerned about his licensing issues as we are!

Regarding all the technical questions in this thread, I'm pretty sure I know most of the answers but I hope someone else can come up with some good old fashioned facts. Until then my main concern is that anyone on here who was about to invest thousands in a trailer set up can hold fire and take stock.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from what i can work out with searches is if you run a dual purpose 4x4 with a rear bench seat (ie double cab) and the unladen weight of the trailer is under 1020kg then it'll be O licence exempt.

I got pulled a few months ago and got a £200 fine for not running a tacho and had to get one fitted.(completely unaware i had to, its a 4x4 double cab pickup but apparently ignorance is no excuse) Fed up with this country targeting the easy target, hard working peeps to pay for the lazy gits that sponge off society! sorry rant over .

o licence exempt until its used for commercial purpose i think!!!! your family caravan will be fine, the chipper prob wont be!!!!!!!

Just read Response to public consultation on implementing EC regulation 1071/2009 page 47 I understand this says that the small trailer exemption stays as long as the trailer is not for hire or reward ie own business use but an o licence is required if you transport goods for others, is this definition for the trailer exemption what we have now?

quote taken off the olmc website

I wish to add a vehicle onto our Goods Vehicle Operator’s Licence.

Licence Number

The vehicle details are as follows :

Land Rover Defender 110 Hardtop

Registration No

Gross Vehicle Weight 3050Kg

Minimum Kerb Weight 1919Kg

Maximum Payload 1131Kg

Towing Capacity 3500Kg (Braked Trailer)

We are going to be pulling the following Trailer :

Ivor Williams – Plant Trailer –

Unladen Weight 635Kg

Maximum Gross Weight 3500Kg

We are going to be transporting a test rig to and from construction sites around the Uk.

The rig weighs 2800kg

If you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards,

VOSA's Answer

Land Rovers (and any vehicles with four wheel drive) are classed as dual purpose vehicles and - under current legislation - are exempt from operator licensing

Therefore, there will be no need to add this vehicle to your licence.

NB: You should contact the Central Licensing Office in Leeds, where you wish to add a goods vehicle to your operator's licence

Amazes me how these various agencies expect us to keep trolling the internet to find out the latest regs without directly notifying any operators at all, then say ignorance is no excuse!

No wonder the country is in the state its in:thumbdown:

what he said :thumbup1:

Amazes me how these various agencies expect us to keep trolling the internet to find out the latest regs without directly notifying any operators at all, then say ignorance is no excuse!

No wonder the country is in the state its in:thumbdown:

but how would they know you are a small trailer operator.........