one handed chainsaw usage

Matt Butler

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So it's an Ash tree, the tie in point looks to be somewhere between 3 and 4 inches, the limb in his left hand is about 2 inches and he's standing on a side branch which is about 1/2inch diameter. My concern would be something snapping during the cut, you follow through with the saw and hey presto you're in a mess. No second anchor point. Potential injury. There are safer and easier ways of making that cut.

Don't want to change the subject but what are you actually doing here?

A crown reduction?

If so, what's happening to the right of the picture with all those flat tops?

If not, why take such little pieces free-falled with an 020 when you could handle entire branches off with a silky? (that's a handsaw btw) :thumbup:

Most of that tree would come down with a handsaw, and climbing would be easier without the chainsaw hanging off your belt.

Doing a crown reduction, but a heavy one. So I couldn't really chose the best growth points as she wanted as much off as poss. In fact when I'd finished she wanted another 3 ft off, which I wouldn't do.

Anyway ur not suggesting that it could be taken down with a silky are u?

So it's an Ash tree, the tie in point looks to be somewhere between 3 and 4 inches, the limb in his left hand is about 2 inches and he's standing on a side branch which is about 1/2inch diameter. My concern would be something snapping during the cut, you follow through with the saw and hey presto you're in a mess. No second anchor point. Potential injury. There are safer and easier ways of making that cut.

Don't want to change the subject but what are you actually doing here?

A crown reduction?

If so, what's happening to the right of the picture with all those flat tops?

If not, why take such little pieces free-falled with an 020 when you could handle entire branches off with a silky? (that's a handsaw btw) :thumbup:

Most of that tree would come down with a handsaw, and climbing would be easier without the chainsaw hanging off your belt.

:congrats:

Fiver says theres atleast 5 saw scuffs on branches near the 'pruning' points you've attempted

Maybe, but they are the physical entombment of slowness, extra effort, and bordom, all squeezed into a handsaws.

Oh and you can work in peace and quiet, dont have to wear chainsaw trousers, make a neater job and be just as quick as someone with a chainsaw (on that little tree anyway) So I dont see that they are slower than a chainsaw, the effort well they weigh less than a chainsaw, boredom? Thats down to attitude I'm afraid. Perhaps time spent honing skills and attitude to the job would be time well spent?:001_rolleyes:

I'm not sure a hand saw is better for your joints, all that pushing and shoving can't be good.

As for the cuts being poor, maybe if you usually use a hand saw then your cuts will be poor with an 020.

I never use a hand saw and do ALL my cuts with my 020, I find I can do good cuts Even on very small stuff.

I'm not saying its a good idea, its just the way I have always worked.