Help quoting a job, Description inside.

MankeyJohn

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best way to learn how to price jobs is quite simply work out how much the job will cost you ie fuel , equipment hire , wear th tear of your own kit etc etc and then once you have this price you then need to work out how much you want to earn from the job .

But do remember (this is only a guess) you will not have any insurance and very few overheads . So if it were me that was getting the quote i would expect it to be significantly less that a pro outfit .

Just remember - the best way to learn how to quote fairly and still earn a £or2 for your self is by getting it wrong from time to time , im sure many guys on here get the odd quote wron from time to time and thats what keeps you on your toes .

Secondly, i strongly reccomend getting some experience with a local firm or one man band , i bit of time in the working world in reall work situations is well worth it . you never know there may be smoeone on here willing to give you the odd day here and there .

Any way good luck on your journey into/through the arb world

last job I did for my mums friend took me 3 hrs and got 10 jars of various home made jams and a home made cake 3 weeks on the trot

BEST paid job ever:thumbup:

If I could do another I would want home made bread just because that would be then heaven:thumbup:

:001_huh:Food poisoning????:001_huh:

My thoughts:

1) Don't do "mates rates" its either Free or at Commercial rates.

2)Just go and price it,quoting takes practice and when practicing anything you have to make mistakes to learn.

3)When you are pricing,don't agonise over anything,very often you first idea or method/cost/viability is the best.Examining each detail often leads to confusion,Tree Work is not an exact Science.

I wish you all the best!

My thoughts:

1) Don't do "mates rates" its either Free or at Commercial rates.

2)Just go and price it,quoting takes practice and when practicing anything you have to make mistakes to learn.

3)When you are pricing,don't agonise over anything,very often you first idea or method/cost/viability is the best.Examining each detail often leads to confusion,Tree Work is not an exact Science.

I wish you all the best!

Very good advice :thumbup1:

My thoughts:

1) Don't do "mates rates" its either Free or at Commercial rates.2)Just go and price it,quoting takes practice and when practicing anything you have to make mistakes to learn.

I wish you all the best!

Thatis all wee and good if you are operating with PL cover , and you are opperating as a commercial outfit .

Its easy to be busy, and earn nothing, many of us have learned that lesson. Overheads are always more than you think, and unplanned situations arise!

You learn by experience how long /how much labour is needed. Can still get it wrong after 26 years,dont be afraid to quote prices that cover your costs, dont forget you may not have work everyday if you are just starting out, or be ill/bad weather etc. Enjoy your work!

• 3 months later...

A general application when it comes to pricing is.. Figure out all the expenses needed for the project/job (fuel, equipments and materials needed , etc ) then just add your margin. :thumbup: For my margins, I usually add 25-30% for random clients and 15-20% for loyal clients, 5-10% to friends and relatives and 0% to immediate family members. I always give people the impression that I am a professional and I don't do free service except for immediate family :P

Edited by SaiChang