stihl's online sales policy

littlerob

I hate to say it but I got my last batch of files and oil off ebay where they seem to ignore Stihls policy.

Yes ebay is a saviour! I've bought several spares for my saws since the policy took hold, saving me from going to the useless local dealer, or driving for miles to a decent one.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but the new policy forces the buyer to pay whatever their local dealer decides to charge.

not a fan of this policy at all.

Noone is forcing you to buy anything mate

Stihl vs. eBay

That would be an interesting court battle, but I can't see it happening somehow.

eBay seem to be above the law anyway.

Yes ebay is a saviour! I've bought several spares for my saws since the policy took hold, saving me from going to the useless local dealer, or driving for miles to a decent one.

eBay is better for NOS parts, being as stihl likes to obsolete the most random but vital parts! Such as a flywheel crank seal, but sells every other damn part, otherwise I have to get parts shipped from Germany

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Noone is forcing you to buy anything mate

Stihl vs. eBay

That would be an interesting court battle, but I can't see it happening somehow.

eBay seem to be above the law anyway.

eBay is above the law

You can buy number plates (vehicle) without V5 or licence- what is the point of forcing (with huge fines to any not complying) genuine dealers/ car parts businesses to collect this data when the crims are just going to eBay.

not always

we bought a 200T side cover from our local dealer for £18

eBay wanted £30 so don't just assume they will be the one stop shop- though it gives retail a bit of serious competition.

I think dealers, once they know you will be returning regularly now seem to want to be more price competitive so in that respect eBay have been good for us.

not always

we bought a 200T side cover from our local dealer for £18

eBay wanted £30 so don't just assume they will be the one stop shop- though it gives retail a bit of serious competition.

I think dealers, once they know you will be returning regularly now seem to want to be more price competitive so in that respect eBay have been good for us.

completely agree - I buy barrels of chain oil and all manner of general agricultural spares from the same dealer but anything with Stihl written on it seems to be out of stock and just a bit more than anywhere else.

I am terrible for ringing around and pitching them against each other. Sometimes not worth the hassle but sometimes it pays off given the price of a pint nowadays

I am terrible for ringing around and pitching them against each other. Sometimes not worth the hassle but sometimes it pays off given the price of a pint nowadays

Well there ya go...its probably the very reason they don't sit on expensive stock that isn't selling. In the long run people may even be surprised to see their local dealers offering better prices and holding better stock due to not having to compete against a dealer 400 miles away

but all dealers should pay Stihl vaguely the same price for stock, just because they are the only Stihl dealer in the local area why should I pay sometimes 20% more for something I can have delivered to my door, ordered anytime of the day?

My local dealer stocks plenty of Oregon bars and chains which they sell well and always recommend to put on my Stihl saws. No thanks.

but all dealers should pay Stihl vaguely the same price for stock, just because they are the only Stihl dealer in the local area why should I pay sometimes 20% more for something I can have delivered to my door, ordered anytime of the day?

My local dealer stocks plenty of Oregon bars and chains which they sell well and always recommend to put on my Stihl saws. No thanks.

Spot on. :001_smile: