Now thats a busy yard!

posch jon

Steady on, oh wise one. I started the other thread because I think their set up looks impressive. I dont even live on the same Island as them, let alone work for them.

Sorry michael stupid thing to put on my part. It just gets up my nose when a large company that gained a grant of a million quid two years ago makes life hard for the small man on here. It does not really bother us because we are more into Kindling than logs. I spent 15 years competeing for generator sales against a company in ireland that ws proped up by the british tax payer. So I can see it coming again.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry michael stupid thing to put on my part. It just gets up my nose when a large company that gained a grant of a million quid two years ago makes life hard for the small man on here. It does not really bother us because we are more into Kindling than logs. I spent 15 years competeing for generator sales against a company in ireland that ws proped up by the british tax payer. So I can see it coming again.

SPOT ON WELL SAID:thumbup:

I dont see them being real competition for the smaller operator though. There are of course those that are willing to pay inflated prices for a smartly packaged product from a heavily advertised company.

But as long as the local merchant offers quality dry logs at a reasonable price, he/she neednt worry.

I cant see CW's product getting too cheap. There are serious overheads there including pallet delivery and if they have to give a middleman a cut, its worse still.

I dont thinkthey will ever be a threat to the small independent producer for two reasons:

1. transport costs are currently very high so they are at a disadvantage against local operators from the off.

2. Economies of scale in firewood are not easy to find. With only a £30k investment in kit i could produce up to 5000m3 of firewood per year ON MY OWN. Now look at CW. How many employees to produce what volume per year? At what investment cost?

I will bet that per unit of labour my business is more productive albeit smaller.

For that reason alone i have nothing to fear from the likes of CW.

Regarding customers only burning hetas approved fuels, old wood burning hands will ignore such rubbish and new burners will ignore such advice when they find i have delivered to their neighbour for half the price they paid to cw.

http://www.kinnoirwoodfuel.co.uk

Old harry packed up last year when cord got expensive because he was charging £60 a metre and had no money to re invest. 2cu metres for £300 I think certainly wood have a fair way to go yet. This the second post this week something tells me they are getting free adverts on here do they advertise in the arb directory ? or just get employees to put posts up.

Im nothing to do with them, try and run our own business!

i just thought it was an insight in to how they do it

I did like this bit on the page. I think I'll put a load of testimonials on my website from 'A very happy customer' and 'Another very happy customer'....'The happiest that ever lived!'

:biggrin:

The review idea is only any good if there is some slightly negative or constructive comments. But I cant see them staying on there long can you :biggrin:

I dont thinkthey will ever be a threat to the small independent producer for two reasons:

1. transport costs are currently very high so they are at a disadvantage against local operators from the off.

2. Economies of scale in firewood are not easy to find. With only a £30k investment in kit i could produce up to 5000m3 of firewood per year ON MY OWN. Now look at CW. How many employees to produce what volume per year? At what investment cost?

I will bet that per unit of labour my business is more productive albeit smaller.

For that reason alone i have nothing to fear from the likes of CW.

Regarding customers only burning hetas approved fuels, old wood burning hands will ignore such rubbish and new burners will ignore such advice when they find i have delivered to their neighbour for half the price they paid to cw.

kwfhomepage

What he said....

BTW, the fact that the website says 'out of stock' is probably a computer glitch. By coincidence, before I first read this thread I was examining a bag of their logs in my localish garden centre that very day. Lovely, kiln dried logs...9 for £7.99!

I'm not doubting that kiln dried to 10% is more efficient. However, I'd rather have four times the quantity at only double the moisture content (20%, and we all know they burn just fine at that) for the same money.

Two things with their website:

1: The comparison page. Any thoughts?

2: The products page seems to imply that seasoned wood is 30 to 50%. Does this mean that only kiln dried wood is burnable? Is that not misleading for the novice wood buyer looking for seasoned wood but has been told to burn 20% or below?