keeping logs outside through winter

Jimbob87

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had a fire in my own home for 5 years burnt whatever was lying around yard even if rain had been at it some of it isnt even worth covering up so its burnt dripping wet sometimes with plenty of kindling and other flammable stuff. never once had problems,our family for over 50 years in some shape of form has heated there properties with an open fire or stove,again no moisture content measured just burnt what was left spare from the yard that wasn't good enough to split for customers.Why have generations of my family had zero issues with chimney fires or gunked up flues then?

I have even gone outside and cut lumps off my cord split it there and then and then burnt it,guess what still no issues...can some one please explain that one for me? nothing i have ever burnt was below 12 percent moisture content.Surely it isn't down to luck that i have avoided chimney issues,my glass on y stove isnt even blacked or sooted up.

Everyone needs to quit worrying so much,i do check moisture of my loads prior to delivery and if its over 25 percent moisture its going nowhere,but ive been seeing stupidly low moisture levels quoted as acceptable and i think its totally unnecessary scare mongering to be blunt.

Yeti, you're music to my ears. I sell firewood on a tiny scale; all wood is (repeatedly) manually handled. If I think of one lump 'hmm, that's a bit heavy' it just gets chucked on next year's heap. If someone asked me what moisture content the logs were I'd shuffle my feet, clear my throat and answer 'haven't a clue but trust me - it'll burn fine'. And that's what matters isn't it.

I've had no complaints, only compliments and returning customers found by word of mouth.

Rock on and thanks.

Jon

I've stored 2 or 3 pallets of good quality split hardwoods under natural cover for two harsh winters in aberdeen and I must agree with skyhuck in that it hasn't done well irrespective of what some books may say.

I can't honestly say if it will burn better or not , i do not have a log burner but think it must only be worth half the value of nice clean looking logs.

I've stored 2 or 3 pallets of good quality split hardwoods under natural cover for two harsh winters in aberdeen and I must agree with skyhuck in that it hasn't done well irrespective of what some books may say.

I can't honestly say if it will burn better or not , i do not have a log burner but think it must only be worth half the value of nice clean looking logs.

It will burn really well and people who buy logs who really know their stuff wont be put of by the dark colour. Nice clean looking logs are often still green and wont burn or produce any heat.

It will burn really well and people who buy logs who really know their stuff wont be put of by the dark colour. Nice clean looking logs are often still green and wont burn or produce any heat.

thanks for that reply , I was just about to give it away because of its grubby look :thumbup1:

Realising recently how cheap moisture meters are, I purchased a state of the art hand crafted one off fleabay for the best part of a tenner :biggrin:

Accuracy isnt too important I thought as long as its consistent and I have some interesting results.

Hardwood kitchen table near Rayburn which has been on for a couple of weeks and kitchen runs at 20C...12% moisture

Fire surround softwood ...12%

Internal back door going to unheated porch....19%

Elm boards stacked in 'dry' and draughty logstore for years....22%

This winters (mixed) logs in above building........22% and up

Softwood in above with 'soft' edge.......39%

What I thought was 'bone dry' de-barked ash which burns wonderfully....23%

Will be interesting to see if the log store logs moisture content falls:confused1:

What worried me was the stacked elm boards, am I ever going to get below 22% in the damp but breezy northern hills?

Hi Corylus, I have the same problem.

Relative humidity here regularly over 90%.

I found this calculator, ok aimed at US cabinet makers, which should allow you to work out the best ( theoretical) you can get.

Wood Equilibrium Moisture Content Calculator from Wood Workers Source.com

Cheers....a really interesting calculator. I presume 'outdoor' means covered though.

I looked on our local weather station's site and over the last month the average humidity is about 90%. Using 8C as an average temp the emc comes out at 21%, so maybe i'm not doing too bad:confused1:

I will look into our yearly average humidity stuff and average temp for each month and then in theory should be able to log at the best time of year (I think NOT:biggrin:)

Do we have similar charts for cities here? cos if we do it would be fun to see where the best naturally (outdoor) dried wood came from, what emc it should be and what some of the lads are acheiving.

(Have just found average humidity figures for Manchester on WIKI so presumably there is a countrywide list somewhere, but dont have time to investigate futher. Have to go and play with horses!))

Edited by corylus
Added last paragraph