Ever had a chainsaw cut?  

202 members have voted

1. 1. Ever had a chainsaw cut?

• Nope not ever.
    • Yes while on the ground.
    • Yes while in a tree/mewp.
    • Yes with a top handle saw.
    • Yes with a rear handle saw.

Out of interest could everyone who has had hospital treatment for a cut with a handsaw post also. they can be as dangerous as a power saw

A bit lame, but had 5 stiches on my rh index Proximal Phalange.

Processing cord on the ground with a Silky.

Saw got compressed in cut, snapped and momentum of the action took my hand (handle still in grip) straight on to the broken blade.

The exposed edge of the trapped metal, severed through my rigger glove, skin and then came to rest on the (Trapezoid) knuckle bone.

Like a big girls blouse, nearly passed out at site of the claret :blushing: and then got stiches up at A&E.

16 years later can still feel the tightness on the tendon especialy during Autumn/Winter.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw got compressed in cut, snapped and momentum of the action took my hand (handle still in grip) straight on to the broken blade.

The exposed edge of the trapped metal, severed through my rigger glove, skin and then came to rest on the (Trapezoid) knuckle bone.

Like a big girls blouse, nearly passed out at site of the claret :blushing: and then got stiches up at A&E.

16 years later can still feel the tightness on the tendon especialy during Autumn/Winter.

OUCH!!!!!!:scared1:

I've had a cut with a handsaw, left hand ring finger. It was about 12 years ago so cant remember much about it but wasn't bad enough to require stiches but still left a nasty scar.! There too bleedin dangerous.:blushing:

I'm guessing that a higher percentage of people who use handsaws will have had an accident compared to those who use chainsaws.

no chainsaw cuts yet apart from minor sharpening cuts but as an apprentice i did find out the value of chainsaw resistant pants when as a 16 year old we were coppicing hazel and got a kickback straight into my left leg!no chain injury from that but the dog did manage to penetrate

I've had a few silky cuts including one on the back of the left hand which looked worse than actually was

I have had similar, Silky trapped in cut as it closed, the blade of my Gomtaro snapped and I practically punched the snapped, broken end quite hard. I ended up taking the skin off between the middle and fore finger. Quite painful but luckily not as bad as yours - the knuckle impale sounds painful. :scared1:

I have had similar, Silky trapped in cut as it closed, the blade of my Gomtaro snapped and I practically punched the snapped, broken end quite hard. I ended up taking the skin off between the middle and fore finger. Quite painful but luckily not as bad as yours - the knuckle impale sounds painful. :scared1:

I did hear thay Silky saws are banned at Kew because of the many accidents.......anyone else hear this ??

I did hear thay Silky saws are banned at Kew because of the many accidents.......anyone else hear this ??

John, I was over at Kew in the Arb Workshop a couple of weeks ago, am pretty sure I saw Silkies on their rigs, might be mistaken though.

Also talked to the lead arbo, who I'm sure mentioned Silkies during a conversation over excessive dead wooding.

Where dya hear the roumour?

Nearly lossed my nose . 40' up an Ash in a fork, cutting using top of bar, chain hit nail (previous tree house site). Chain mingled with visor, which in them days were plastic coated metal mesh. Two days in hospital and a skin graft, doctors would not let me see wound before op but said it looked like a lion had took a swing at me with it's claws. They made a good job and you can hardly see scar.Thankfully. It really brings home just how dangerous this work is and makes you respect the saws.

Out of interest I went on to spend a few years teaching with FASTCO and NPTC. I used to hear of more injuries involving legs and arms getting crushed with ropes and timber during take downs. One guy was subbing 4 yrs back,rope trapped his leg, 600 stiches.The co never reported the accident and had no Emp/Liability ins. HSE was not interested, it would have been a black mark for them as it had already happened, they are there to prevent...lol

It was a while ago mate, think it was from one of the many NPTC assessors that we use.......but we all know how they like to gossip ! :laugh1:
By saying they like 2 gossip did you mean chat a lot of bull***t?

Some of the most dagerous and detrimental roumors i come across in this industry are started/ presented as fact thanks to some bloody NPTC assessor!:mad1:

I hasten to add, however, that not all assessors are so stupid.

If it is or ever was true that silky's were banned at Kew I'd love 2 have a stern words with the bloke who came up with yet anouther Preposterous knee-jerk reaction of an idea.