Unimog

Pickers

Hi guys, I am a small sub contractor employing 4 men. I am thinking of investing in a unimog and timber trailer c/w grab, primarily for timber extraction. We currently perform 1st, 2nd, 3rd thinnings and clear fell but as yet have had no involvment with extraction other than manually humping and dumping to the nearest ride. I would welcome any remarks in my choice of opting for a unimog based on your experiences. It would also be used to operate a chipper, splitter etc.

Many Thanks

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there , i own a U1600 ag , we use ours for chipping and moving timber , a fair amound of our work is off road as we sub contract to glendale and clear HV utility lines , we find our mog to be perfect for doing what we do and would highly reccomend a unimog if you have enough use for one . The guys you need to speak to on here that run mog and have done for much longer than me are Skyhuck and Steve Blair , there are a few other guys on here too .

So what size mog were you looking to get ?

a lot depends on the type of ground you are working on mog/trailer not the best on wet sticky ground with a load behind it and remember if going up rides any distance you will probably have a lot of reversing to do not the easiest in narrow ride with stumps etc

I would like to recommend a mog and trailer to you but for what you are describing I feel you would be better of with a tractor and forwarding trailer , similar to the one in brushcutters avatar or other try

forwarding trailer - Google Search

+2

I came very close to buying a mog a couple of years back, but TBH having looked at a few, and worked with 2, i CANNOT see the point. They are cumbersome overpriced expensive not-quite-a-tractor-not-quite-a-lorry glorified chipboxes IMO. Unimog owners will swear by them, but for me I will stick to a defender and tow behind. But then I do have easy access to tractors with big trailers and forwarding equipment with operator for next to nothing, which maybe if i didnt, I would have thought more about a mog.:001_smile:

go on get one ,you will feel cool driving around in one if nothing else ,just make sure you have the work for one ,and drive it your self ,dont let any ham fisted git use it ,also if its agri spec ie running on red etc this is an issue if your boys who work for you drive it

it is not so much the terrain but the size of your outfit, the skill of your staff and how far you work from home.

A mog is pretty much a 2-3 seater tarctor with big transport box and pto either end.

When working in the wood with a tractor chipping or winching or using the grab. there is room for your tools, workers and spares. In a tractor you need a support vehicle with all that in it.

If you get the right mog for the right application you are laughing. My u900 with bald tyres goes anywhere the big john deere goes with new shoes.

The only way to find out is buy 1, if you could pick up a u1000, 1200 stick a winch on the front, pick up hitch and timber trailer then away you go.

Mine is off the rd just now getting repaired and its a pita, i have to take a van, to get the tractor and spend all day swapping implements and trying not to drive over tools.

Mogs rule

it is not so much the terrain but the size of your outfit, the skill of your staff and how far you work from home.

A mog is pretty much a 2-3 seater tarctor with big transport box and pto either end.

When working in the wood with a tractor chipping or winching or using the grab. there is room for your tools, workers and spares. In a tractor you need a support vehicle with all that in it.

If you get the right mog for the right application you are laughing. My u900 with bald tyres goes anywhere the big john deere goes with new shoes.

The only way to find out is buy 1, if you could pick up a u1000, 1200 stick a winch on the front, pick up hitch and timber trailer then away you go.

Mine is off the rd just now getting repaired and its a pita, i have to take a van, to get the tractor and spend all day swapping implements and trying not to drive over tools.

Mogs rule

MINE will ba back on the road soon engine all repaired now just got to fix rust on cab then re fit it ,cost to rebuild engine and fit new clutch came out at £2000, it would have cost a lot more had i bought a recon engine

If you are looking into a mog get it checked over by a good mechanic as even some of what may seem small repairs can be expensive if you cant fix it yourself.

Does anyone know which mogs have a gross train weight of 24,000kg . Someone did send me some charts for a 425 but did not make much sense to me. I have a feeling i read somewhere the u1000 is only 12,000kg and the main reason for a mog is to tow my loaded 14,000kg trailer.