harkie hiviz smock

Johny Walker

Has anyone washed their Smock?

If so, how did you do it, what did you use and is it still waterproof.

Mine now smells worse than the toilets of Hades!

yes. you will need to re proof it as washing it takes all its waterproofness away. I use the nikwax stuff you put in the washing machine.

• 2 years later...

Dragging up an old thread there. The common opinion amongst people i know is that the smock is not great. Waterproof at first, sure, but that doesn't last long and it is hot as hell to work in.

Positives are it is indeed HiViz it is thinck and does not rip and the back is long and covers ya bum.

I would not buy another one and i would not buy another Cut and Climb as mine has leaked around the armpits since new!!

Have taken to climbing naked when it rains, at least i have dry clothes to drive home in!

Have your tried kayaking cagouls mark? Long sleeved t shirt under neath so you can't feel the clammy sweat on the inside and only for when it's hammering it down! I've found nothing breathable which remains waterproof and noting cool enough to really work in which isn't.

Have your tried kayaking cagouls mark? Long sleeved t shirt under neath so you can't feel the clammy sweat on the inside and only for when it's hammering it down! I've found nothing breathable which remains waterproof and noting cool enough to really work in which isn't.

Somebody mentioned this before on the forum. I did think about it but the kayaking cags are expensive in the first instance and probably not tough enough to deal with the scrapes that we get in tree work. i Should Imagen it would be sweaty as well.

Best thing i have found is the military goretex jacket that only cost £30.

Kayaking cags - the open top ones can be can be thin affairs and showerproof for stuff like flatwater paddling. Or right tough dry-cags, with full tight fitting latex seals at the wrist & neck with over protection; and a tight fitting neoprene waist & stomach seal with over protection and 100% waterproof. Neither type are restrictive restrictive of movement.

But Goretex and the like work best, when the inner surface is warmer than the outer surface. So if it hammering down and cold or snowing or you may well go full immersion and your core temp. is good and warm, the material will be working the way it's suppose to. But if you're toastie on the inside and it's just light rain or not even cold outside, then inner moisture will buildup and it's going to get clammy.

I think though, that paddling cags are best left for paddlers. I've spent many hours, even days at a time in them. Only disrobing to sleep sleep, (or tend to bodily needs). And while even the best dry-cags & dry-trousers or dry-suits are great to be in hour after hour. I wouldn't want to work in one!

A flatwater smock or jacket might be doable but still have all the above, not including the latex & neoprene seals. But I still wouldn't want to work in one.

I've cut firewood for a small evening fire, strung hammocks and made rough camps in both types. And if you're sheltered from the wind or not going for a dunk, you get pretty damn hot, pretty damn quick in a paddling cag. You almost ache to get the waterproof gear off and wriggle into a sleeping bag on a rock slab or the luxury of a hammock or bivvi.

What about a Goretex or eVent mountaineering jacket? ticks all the boxes such as helmet compatible hood, harness compatible pockets and cut to be unrestrictive when climbing. I use an old Montane Venture (eVent) myself and recently picked up a Karrimor Alpiniste jacket (eVent) for around £80.

Dragging up an old thread there. i know is that the smock is not great. Waterproof at first, sure, but that doesn't last long and it is hot as hell to work in.

Positives are it is indeed HiViz it is thinck and does not rip and the back is long and covers ya bum.

I would not buy another one and i would not buy another Cut and Climb as mine has leaked around the armpits since new!!

Wow I did start this thread a long time ago.

Anyway, I lost my temper, threw the Harkie in the bin and bought a Cut n Climb.

Comfier than the Harkie and slightly more waterproof. Only slightly.

Then I got hacked off with that and got a really expensive Pfanner Ventura. I was delighted with the design and comfort and it was superbly waterproof, until I removed it from the packaging and wore it the first time!

It was utterly useless and Pfanner couldn't give a toss. I was very disappointed by the jacket and extremely disappointed by Pfanners lack of customer care.

Anyway, IMO most jackets are pretty waterproof until they become contaminated by a fine film of chain oil that is inevitable due to our job.

Washing in Nikwax Techwash definitely helps and is cheaper than buying yet another jacket.

I'm now back in the Nikwax treated Cut n Climb. The Ventura is relegated to being the most expensive work jacket that stays behind the truck seat and makes me sick every time I see it.

Wow I did start this thread a long time ago.

Anyway, I lost my temper, threw the Harkie in the bin and bought a Cut n Climb.

Comfier than the Harkie and slightly more waterproof. Only slightly.

Then I got hacked off with that and got a really expensive Pfanner Ventura. I was delighted with the design and comfort and it was superbly waterproof, until I removed it from the packaging and wore it the first time!

It was utterly useless and Pfanner couldn't give a toss. I was very disappointed by the jacket and extremely disappointed by Pfanners lack of customer care.

Anyway, IMO most jackets are pretty waterproof until they become contaminated by a fine film of chain oil that is inevitable due to our job.

Washing in Nikwax Techwash definitely helps and is cheaper than buying yet another jacket.

I'm now back in the Nikwax treated Cut n Climb. The Ventura is relegated to being the most expensive work jacket that stays behind the truck seat and makes me sick every time I see it.

Wow

Sent from my SM-G900F using Arbtalk mobile app