Sweet chestnut Pollard

RC0

If you didn't catch this job in the picture forum then this had been on the cards for a year but had been postponed several times. An old sweet chestnut, had the main leader blown out at about 50 feet a year ago leaving the next tallest stems totally exposed with a 30 degree lean while supporting a substantial mass of foliage in its upper 3rd.

The collapsed leader (which has since thrown out new growth everywhere), upon inspection was riddled with heart rot and was the most recent of several parts of this tree to collapse in so many years. The base of the tree suggests that it was perhaps coppiced as a youngster.

Anyway, the risk of the new leader meeting the same fate as the old now seemed quite high, so it was decided to severely shorten it so to establish a more compact crown. Bracing might have been an option but with every chance that the timber was as degraded as the other’s, which was later confirmed throughout the cutting operation….and now with only a low guying point available, it just didn’t seem logical.

I would now expect the tree to throw out masses of shoots, of which will be periodically thinned every 5 years or so until a more naturally spaced crown is re-established. Yes we can expect the stems to hollow out from here onwards, but for a tree of that age with now minimal lever-arm, this is not a great concern.

I get a job like this one perhaps once every 3 years. Normally, pruning strategies of whatever kind are limited up-to 30% of the foliage mass….however, sometimes it’s just not that black and white.

I’m not looking for a debate on pollarding, topping or whatever you want to call it. I was just there to do the climbing and carry out the work safely.

The old guy who owns this estate is now 85, has over a thousand acres of woodlands, gardens and plantations which now has a diverse mix of trees, young, old, healthy, declining, dead, diseased….just a beautifully balanced environment all round.

Re: The actual tree work – Great weather, thankfully. It was a wobbly one due to the decay so I kept the loads to a minimum and what was manageable for the guys to pull clear of the shrubs underneath. A couple of oversights (swearing) with the editing but I was rushing towards the end and couldn’t bare to watch it through a final time....sincere appologies all round. Anyway, about 25 minutes to watch all 3. Thanks

[ame]

[/ame]

[ame]

[/ame]

[ame]

[/ame]

Nice video there and excellent work, thanks for taking the time to edit and post. Do you reckon that when you cut sweet chestnut is smells like 'Tangy Toms' or any other cheap Tomato sauce flavoured crisps..? If you havent noticed take a sniff next time you cut a sweet chestnut... always brings back memories of my childhood.:001_tongue:

Thanks.

Sorry to have two threads running about the same thing guys....what I should have done was just added the vid onto the picture thread.

Never mind....

Chestnut - I think you're probably right

Arborlord - the whole of the bank had been planted up with shrubs, the reason why it all had to be lowered.

Rich - I handn't noticed, lol

Thanks for the endorsement Carl

Ian from F.S, I didn't get chance to try the Stein jacket as the weather was beautiful on that day

Dean - no camera tricks mate, for a Sweet chestnut it was getting up there. However, more often than not, tall trees afford better and easier climbing/rigging options than broad/spreading ones, so when you hear folks quoting 100ft this and that, it doesn't necessarily add any merit to the difficulty of the task.

great job as always.just out of curiostity what other kinda work do you do or is it all large removals?

I'll do anything thats paying - carrying, fetching, dragging....no worries mate, whatever needs to be done. So far, this miserable week it has been all pruning.

I really wish I had the opportunity to ground for other climbers now and then, working the ropes and stuff, you know. But obviously, I dont get hired for that sort of thing.