Glasses or lenses?

Daniël Bos

Rover, I wear both. Sounds like you will need to find a stout pair of glasses and get use to wearing them, lenses can be used while out doors and in the type of industry we are in you will still need some sort of safty glasses or goggles when wearing your lenses.

The need for having clean hands most of the time will also help make up your mind about having lenses as well, more upkeep with lenses as opposed to glasses. I wish you

the best.

easy-lift guy

Thanks Ted,

I always wear safety specs when working but found I could not fit them over the glasses and the glasses are not nearly as safe as the safety ones due to them only being at the front where the saftey specs I wear are "wraparound" style.

How important are clean hands for lenses? I'm a bit of an urchin most of the time...

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive also recently started wearing glasses, cant remember the make of frame but mine came from tesco optician's, they are the flexi metal type, you literally bend them in half & they spring back, amazing things!!! with regards to safety goggles, you need to look for skiing type goggles, they are wider, i buy mine from b.o.c. gas & gear shop, they fit fine over the glasses. they are a pain but you will get used to them!!

With contact lenses the need to remove and install at any time for any reason really makes a difference with clean hands. I believe robbo 110 is spot on with regards to working with a ski type goggle in conjunction with lenses. The key is to keep your lenses clean and well moistened before during and after insertion. Most new lenses are disposable to one degree or another, find a brand that meets your budget and comfort level. Who knows you may create a fasion trend with your new saw goggles and be styling at the same time. All the best.

easy-lift guy

Rover, Ive worn contact lenses as a tree surgeon for the last 6 years with no problems. my advice would be to get the daily disposable ones, so its not the end of the world when you have to ditch one up a tree. Having said that in all the time ive been climbing ive only lost 5 or so lenses. I make a point to wear sunglasses or saftey glasses on the dustyist of jobs, like ringing down a trunk in gusty wind. And I certainly dont keep my hands clean! in the event you do get something behind a lense that wont blink away you can suck a finger clean enough to swap it out.

Good luck with it anyway! I know the daily disposable are more expensive but totally worth it imho.

I have the monthly disposables and I couldn't recommend them more! I've worn lenses and glasses for nearly 20 years now and have never had any problems...

I did have an ulcer on my eye which spored me wearing contacts for 6 months but it want because of the contacts our anything tree related and it was some time ago

Sent from Rob's GalaxySII

Thanks for these gems guys, I'm leaning toward lenses more from my limited experience of glasses. I just don't know thing like: how much hassle is it in the mornings, do they move out of position, what are they like with dust, extreme cold/heat etc.

I'm not that worried about the looks ELG, and I'm fairly certain I'll never start a fashion of any sort as the last time I bought "new" new clothes in a shop (other than ppe and socks) was over 15 years ago...:001_smile:

I did look into the prescription safety glasses but they don't seem to make any with just single lenses, they're all just safety specs with extra lenses stuck on?

This is one of the other things that make me think lenses, with my glasses I found I had to turn my head a lot more, rather than turning my eyes. Peripheral vision was quite blurry because of this. Do lenses turn with you eyes?

Good question about peripheral vision. I believe if you have good PV now you will have it with contacts as well. Clean hands are important only becuse of all the nasty things we come in contact on a daily basis and even more while working with trees. Yes you can blink fast and your lens can pop out in a pinch. My biggest concern is any damage to the cornea due to material flying about. I look forward to your new "saw goggles".

easy-lift guy

What eye condition have you got? Also what type of lenses have you been suggested? I first had solid lenses for my eye condition and they were murder so I didn't bother with them. My eyes always streamed so I couldn't see so good, and a spec of dust or something behind it, and it was like having sand paper in your eyes. 6 years later they have finally made glasses for me :) Job done

I am short sighted and have nearly always worked out doors. For me changing to contact lenses was the best thing thing ever, especially in the rain. I used to have monthly disposables but after some problems with eye dryness, which I believe was caused by sawdust, I have changed to daily disposables and find them to be excellent. They are a little more expensive but well worth it.

Stuart.