What's on your bench today?

spudulike

I'll also say that buying a tap and die set gets you a lot of bits you will never use, probably better to get the good quality ones you need as you need them and back them up with some cheap ones to mutilate, like grinding the ends off to make bottoming taps.

I had a cheap set and the dies cut a rounded poor formed thread and the taps weren't much better!

If you can wait, keep a look on ebay for an old set of decent brand ones when the Japanese manufacrtured some decent kit or old British ones - you can get some good sets coming up.

Worth also having a set of helicoils in M5 and M4/M6 also.

I had a cheap set and the dies cut a rounded poor formed thread and the taps weren't much better!

If you can wait, keep a look on ebay for an old set of decent brand ones when the Japanese manufacrtured some decent kit or old British ones - you can get some good sets coming up.

Worth also having a set of helicoils in M5 and M4/M6 also.

Ok Thanks for that

as you have mentioned helicoils , which makes ? :biggrin:

I'll contradict that and say the Lidl set I bought on a whim for about £5.99 has been good value. I know it's only HSS but for what I paid it has held up for 4 years, cleaned out hundreds of threads in aluminium and steel and the tap and die wrench are decent quality. I bought some hole saws as well and they are great quality cut through 3 mm steel and still going strong. For spanners I use a Bahco set, great quality and I have Britool and some Kamasa which have stood up well to some serious abuse which they would not get on chainsaw maintenance.

I guess you are right in a way. But I rarely use them on the nice stuff like ally. I have used them for cast iron block, steel heads.

Cleaning threads are fine. But making new threads they just wouldn't do it.

And in my thinking was to get decent ones, rather than the cheap rubbish (and I did buy some) and they break re threading a block and I then have to go and buy some meaning it will put a job back, or worse break off inside the block and I have to spend more hours getting the broken bit out...