What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Ok. The ms250 has decided to be a pig..

Cleaned it out and it run perfectly. Fired it up twice. Called customer as it was a bit of a rush job as the saw is needed tomorrow.

Now it won't run at all. It is spewing fuel out the exhaust so much so that it drips onto flow after only trying to start for a bit. Looked at the metering valve but nothing there. Adjusted it both ways. Can't figure out why the fuel is coming out of exhaust so quickly the comp is all good.

The diaphragms are all ok.

Ok. The ms250 has decided to be a pig..

Cleaned it out and it run perfectly. Fired it up twice. Called customer as it was a bit of a rush job as the saw is needed tomorrow.

Now it won't run at all. It is spewing fuel out the exhaust so much so that it drips onto flow after only trying to start for a bit. Looked at the metering valve but nothing there. Adjusted it both ways. Can't figure out why the fuel is coming out of exhaust so quickly the comp is all good.

The diaphragms are all ok.

They are sent to test us Rich.

If the petrol is flooding through, it has to be getting past the metering valve, so I'll bet its either damaged on the seat, or being held off its seat. I think you will need to check it again. This is where the 'pop off test' helps.

If the petrol is flooding through, it has to be getting past the metering valve, so I'll bet its either damaged on the seat, or being held off its seat. I think you will need to check it again. This is where the 'pop off test' helps.

Yep. That's is where I'm heading. I'm at home so havnt got the testing gear with me. Teach me to take on a rush job. Lesson learnt.

Will have To check it out. Again. :sneaky2:

Looks like a busy night. :lol:

Now on the fith MS200T out of the magic blue bag in my porch:lol:

No 4 was a right sod, the revs were going from normal to racing and then dying, a good long clean in the ultrasonic cleaner didn't help, sorted the accelerator pump which was worn and still the same. Located the fault as a leaking welch plug and now the saw idles and runs well:thumbup:

Hi Steve

Just sent you a text. All looking great there. Your a star.Talk soon

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Checked it out and doesn't look knackerd and no crud in it. Still not working right and still got fuel coming out exhaust. Oh well. Either the customer needs to wait so I can fix it or he can take it back.

Need to get it on the proper dirty bench tomorrow and give it a good testing. Somehow between tree work and RNLI :001_rolleyes:

Is that why my saw smelt funny after you fixed it up?

No, thats GT85, a general purpose WD40 like lubricant that also makes a good cleaner and crud softner:thumbup: I quite like the smell, sort of fragrant:thumbup:

Did you get the machine that was playing up again sorted, if not, get it back to me and I will do it free of charge....and make it smell nice:lol:

Very reliable machines, the Tanaka, and that WY carb is pretty bombproof. They do sometimes need a very slight tweak on the needle, usually clockwise.

The problem is that so many users don't know where the needle head is. Its in the very centre of the throttle body. The early ones (and new replacements) had a small nylon plug in the hole, and the later ones are sealed with a core of nylon which needs to be extracted first. This is easy to do when you know how, but a PITA when you don't.

The other problem is that the body rises on a ramp as it rotates, and wears the ramp which causes it to stick. New bodies are cheap and easy to fit.

Barrie - you know too much M8:lol: You are spot on, this one had a rubber plug that hid the adjustment that I tweaked. Martin had a quick lesson when he picked it up:thumbup:

The machine is around 8 years old and is in good nick and never given problem - the lavetera in the back garden is now a bit smaller:blushing:

Checked it out and doesn't look knackerd and no crud in it. Still not working right and still got fuel coming out exhaust. Oh well. Either the customer needs to wait so I can fix it or he can take it back.

Need to get it on the proper dirty bench tomorrow and give it a good testing. Somehow between tree work and RNLI :001_rolleyes:

You will need to get a pressure gauge on it Rich, often they look fine and I use a magnifying glass to see the tell tale ridge on the needle if leaking.

Also this sort of problem can be caused by the incorrect diaphragm being fitted - had this on an MS200T fitted with a diaphragm with a thicker than normal central rivet - it was holding the metering arm/needle valve open.

An incorrect set metering arm could also cause it.

Good luck - RNLI - good cause:thumbup: