What's on your bench today?

spudulike

The old piston is a normal piston and doesn't look scored and the other piston is a strato one.

I don't think the MS210 was ever a strato saw!

Check your order with what you have got and you can return to L&S if the parts are unused and in the original packing. I always try to avoid this but have had to on a couple of occasions and it has always been sorted.

What part did you order - they have the Stihl IPL (Parts lists) online and is relatively easy to order. 

Most kits appear to be 40mm!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spudulike said:

The old piston is a normal piston and doesn't look scored and the other piston is a strato one.

I don't think the MS210 was ever a strato saw!

Check your order with what you have got and you can return to L&S if the parts are unused and in the original packing. I always try to avoid this but have had to on a couple of occasions and it has always been sorted.

What part did you order - they have the Stihl IPL (Parts lists) online and is relatively easy to order. 

Most kits appear to be 40mm!

The scoring is on the other side. I ordered the piston and cylinder kit for a ms210. I checked if I made a mistake and ordered the wrong one but it definitely said compatible with ms210 because I've made that mistake in the past... I have an airfilter cover for a ms201t but I have a 201tc...🥴

But this piston would never work with this cylinder anyway because even when pushed right to to top it still doesn't clear the inlet port. After some research online it looks like this is a ms211 piston.

Husqvarna 181se on the bench

converted to 88 cc using a k&s non decomp cylinder off a early 288xp

new seals new bearings 6202 on flywheel side and 6203 on clutch side. 
Primary coil from a Jonsered 910, new fuel line, new decals, HD intake and air filter

plus a full wrap 

B33417CC-4B9C-4894-BCE5-3B07C7BD9FA8.jpeg

AD46894C-C597-4FAF-8B4A-6EA919B7DE16.jpeg

647262E9-5846-4CD4-BF54-24231340B7A8.jpeg

4E7EC69D-1753-420D-8E1C-57E4F7D15D64.jpeg

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Max 201 said:

The scoring is on the other side. I ordered the piston and cylinder kit for a ms210. I checked if I made a mistake and ordered the wrong one but it definitely said compatible with ms210 because I've made that mistake in the past... I have an airfilter cover for a ms201t but I have a 201tc...🥴

But this piston would never work with this cylinder anyway because even when pushed right to to top it still doesn't clear the inlet port. After some research online it looks like this is a ms211 piston.

It looks like the scored side will be the inlet side. Better check the air filter as scoring on this side is usually crud getting past the filter.

That piston would need the corresponding and correct cylinder to go with it but wouldn't work with your carb, muffler etc.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, spudulike said:

It looks like the scored side will be the inlet side. Better check the air filter as scoring on this side is usually crud getting past the filter.

That piston would need the corresponding and correct cylinder to go with it but wouldn't work with your carb, muffler etc.

Thanks for the tip I'll have a closer look once I put it all back together again. Don't want to wreck a brand new cylinder first try!

Looks like the cylinder is pretty much identical to the old one so at least they got that right. I'll ring them tomorrow and see if they can help me.

On 05/02/2022 at 09:36, bmp01 said:

Beginning to see why this saw got put to one side.

I think you're gonna have to look at the accelerator circuit if only to confirm its healthy (or do like you said earlier, get a replacement carb).

Lots of talk about the primer bulb earlier IIRC, how's that working now? Have you tried running the saw with the primer bulb circuit disconnected ? (The return fom the carb must be plugged if you want to try this).

Edit: a new primer bulb was fitted, probably not that then...

I was tractor driving today so no time on the saw but I did get the owner to film it.

I'll leave it up for a week or so for anyone to view.

I have not bought a new spark plug nor tried the hemostat on the line from the carb to the purge bulb.

3 minutes ago, spudulike said:

Interesting, it sounds like it is almost running rich to start with. Have you tried leaning the H screw down? Does this make it worse? Does richening it up make it better or worse? Have you tried removing the air filter? Does it make it...................

This time I didn't have time to try anything, previously the only thing that made it rev up was to block the strato port on the carb.  I'll have another play soon. The trouble is the Hi screw works in parallel with the jet and only has a small effect.