What's on your bench today?

spudulike

ok. need to check something.

has anyone heard of canadian chain?

had a 048 in and it needed a new chain, the owner done this himself. but he come back to me saying the shop he went to for the chain said it was a canadian chain and bar?

so he had to make one up or something along those lines, ive never heard of this so thought i would ask around.

is there such a thing? it was a stihl bar and .404 chain. didnt know there was a difference in the chains by country....

The Canadian chains cut with a funny North American/French chip .......:biggrin:

Never heard of it! Is he confusing 'oregon' chain with 'canadian'

well thats why i asked i was just as confused.

stihl bar, .404 chain. said the chain was canadian and it was wrong for the bar. thought .404 for a stihl was the same no matter what the make, thought it was only husky that was different.....:001_huh:

said the canadian chain was smaller guage causing it to wobble in the rails?

ok. need to check something.

has anyone heard of canadian chain?

had a 048 in and it needed a new chain, the owner done this himself. but he come back to me saying the shop he went to for the chain said it was a canadian chain and bar?

so he had to make one up or something along those lines, ive never heard of this so thought i would ask around.

is there such a thing? it was a stihl bar and .404 chain. didnt know there was a difference in the chains by country....

Age, the early stihl bars were made in Canada, but haven't been since the 80's, as for chain, if it wasn't stihl fitted it was oregon

And all .404 chain is .063 gauge, even husky

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Age, the early stihl bars were made in Canada, but haven't been since the 80's, as for chain, if it wasn't stihl fitted it was oregon

And all .404 chain is .063 gauge, even husky

thanks for clarifying what i thought already. the bar is a newish bar, so not from the 80s as you say.

just confused the hell out of me. woundered what canadian had to do with it, as the bar also says made in germany, not west germany.

thanks for the replies gents.

thanks for clarifying what i thought already. the bar is a newish bar, so not from the 80s as you say.

just confused the hell out of me. woundered what canadian had to do with it, as the bar also says made in germany, not west germany.

thanks for the replies gents.

Probably an over-stretched 3/8 chain, have heard some people switch up a sprocket once the chain is very worn, especially as an 048 is fairly small for a .404 chain (70-80cc range)

Maybe what they meant was just it wasnt the usual size bar in respect of chain links required Rich? Some of these overseas country's use some strange bar lengths as far as we are concerned. 19 21 22 and 27" bars etc which prob dealers wont hold loops of ready made chain but can make it up, if it was rare I can't see the saw shop wouldnt have it else.

had a bit of development on this.

the chain was amde up using the old one. not off the bar. so a guess would be the chain had been changed in the past and this new one was made up from a manual rather than looking at the bar.

the chain was made from a reel.

still confused where the canadian bit came from tho.

i did repair this saw by the way, not the chain but the oiler issue. the bar was very new.

Quick question for the lads regularly working on Stihls, how do you go about pressure testing xx1 saws and TS410s? I have the kit to do normal ones but these two inlet port models need some special box-like attachment that connects don't they? Looking at prices for them I'm sure people have other ways of doing it.

Had a MS650 in for a service, bit of a catalogue of disasters...looks nice in the first picture doesn't it:001_rolleyes:

Well it isn't, this is one of the British Alcan saws that has been used for cutting Aluminium billets and has been repainted, the metal behind the clutch is bare and battered aluminium alloy.

Various things are wrong with it, the oiler is knackered, pinion worm drive stripped, the pump was full of metal swarf and the gear badly worn, the crank bearigs have play in them, the crank seals are leaking, the chain brake handle had bad wear around the pivot, the bore looks a bit worn but compression wasn't too bad at 150psi.

The carb did look clean though:thumbup::thumbup:

I am sorting out the real bad stuff - have sleeved the brake handle and it is now tight, the oil pump and pinion will be sorted and new crank seals to get rid of the minor vacuum leak.

The saw is really too worn to take the cost of new crank bearings but the owner has had a few bad issues as of late so am doing this as a bit of an act of charity - not that he asked but am a very reasonable fella:blushing::thumbup: Am keeping the costs right down and am not going to charge labour against the owners wishes!

4.jpg.adcb2fa8059f09f4c7d8dd297af4033b.jpg

3.jpg.878f43abf86e5912a6838702383c65c5.jpg

2.jpg.3a24cfea5c4c9295ff1b7399a25a0600.jpg

1.jpg.5d5017374c7b73fb891ffb01ee486cb8.jpg