What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Cracked on with the MS200Ts today, this one dosn't rev out and a good carb clean in the US cleaner has sorted it, did the full job on it, 160psi passed vac and pressure checks, started fine and looks a lot cleaner now

Spud - I want to know how you go about cleaning carbs. Is the US cleaner your first port of call or do you use carb cleaner and compressed air first and then US for problem carbs?

Or do you just put them in as your first approach? How long for?

Do you remove all the gaskets and dias and put the 3 seperate pieces of the carb in?

And finally - do you always use white spirit or is there another cleaner you use? What do other folk use?

cheers

Not so much on the bench as on the kitchen worktop, bit chilly in the workshop today!

Throttle cable replacement on the 441, bit more fiddly than I was expecting.

Old cable had frayed where it passes through the first plastic block, causing the throttle to stick. Gave me some interesting moments up a tree the other day!

IMG_0476.jpg.31a1c5fa24225306c0f76e89e11a178d.jpg

IMG_0475.jpg.7f44970d8712f2f25736f2b4d4fb6be7.jpg

IMG_0474.jpg.a5afeffa7e41dd15a4efbf93fddaeba3.jpg

IMG_0473.jpg.1a3962593313e520f32586b78a0a887d.jpg

I tried hard to become 'normal' on Saturday. That is to say, I did not sweep up between jobs, and did not put the tools back in the right places.

This was just to remind myself what I used to be like. I now remember why I changed.

The workshop is now once more, spic and span and order has been restored.

All the tools are within arms length of the bench.

'OCD rules:thumbup1:'

Oh well. it suits me anyway.

I have to tidy the workshop and bench up after a certain time not everyday but it has to be done the Busness partner always says he knows when i dont have anything to do as imn tidying up lol i loke it neat and tidy and its good from the customers Yup nice clean bench swept off and wiped down :) !!

Had a quick look at the 034. Good comp, good spark, seems to be getting fuel but not taken carb off yet. It dies when you pull on throttle. Hooping not crank seals but need to do a test for that.

Picked up an ms250 on way home. Not starting. Comp is good and spark is good. Fuel is getting to plug.... And fuel is under pressure when trying to start.

Forget about the 250 sorted it. Can't believe I didn't see it when I picked the saw up.

The choke lever was off so the saw wouldn't go into choke and wouldn't start, just flood itself out. I like easy fixes. Plus I didn't get he kitchen work top very dirty either.

Had a Burrell afternoon, fixed his dads hedge trimmer as it was bogging down when revved, had a slide carb rather than the typical chainsaw butterfly valve type and the needle needed a slight tweak, all good now.

Also put anew port in his 298XP, the existing one was burning the wood he was cutting - the large hole is where the original exhaust outlet was and now needs a blanking plate fitted!

P1050110.jpg.a472410a88108a691f863344d8111845.jpg

597662950cb58_NorthHertfordshire-20121210-00050.jpg.d9307b73f71b371c5a45888098bd22a6.jpg

P1050108.jpg.414a03329bae5b1179e46b99a4391b40.jpg

Now on the fith MS200T out of the magic blue bag in my porch:lol:

No 4 was a right sod, the revs were going from normal to racing and then dying, a good long clean in the ultrasonic cleaner didn't help, sorted the accelerator pump which was worn and still the same. Located the fault as a leaking welch plug and now the saw idles and runs well:thumbup:

P1050109.jpg.cefb68b415c8bfe486eebf983228a293.jpg

P1050106.jpg.ac5bd23b234d78859b072ebbd41286ac.jpg

P1050105.jpg.9a8f142e5037ff23c5446b04fd0006e7.jpg

the needle needed a slight tweak, all good now.

Very reliable machines, the Tanaka, and that WY carb is pretty bombproof. They do sometimes need a very slight tweak on the needle, usually clockwise.

The problem is that so many users don't know where the needle head is. Its in the very centre of the throttle body. The early ones (and new replacements) had a small nylon plug in the hole, and the later ones are sealed with a core of nylon which needs to be extracted first. This is easy to do when you know how, but a PITA when you don't.

The other problem is that the body rises on a ramp as it rotates, and wears the ramp which causes it to stick. New bodies are cheap and easy to fit.

Spud - I want to know how you go about cleaning carbs. Is the US cleaner your first port of call or do you use carb cleaner and compressed air first and then US for problem carbs?

Or do you just put them in as your first approach? How long for?

Do you remove all the gaskets and dias and put the 3 seperate pieces of the carb in?

And finally - do you always use white spirit or is there another cleaner you use? What do other folk use?

cheers

The cleaning regime depends on what the saw is doing, I save the US cleaner for the real bad ones, it isn't a magic silver bullet but can sort persistant problems. I never use compressed air on carbs - a little bit harsh IMO.

I strip the carb fully before soaking and the length of time depends on how bad I think the carb may be.

I usually use white spirit as it works for me but does stink and there is a risk it will vapourise and ignight!