What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Been recommended a Husky 365 as a general use larger mid-size. Any users got experience with this...I'm normally a Stihl user as thats all I have ever had.

As you have posted this in a thread called "What's on your bench today?" I assume you already got it? :confused1::sneaky2:

Been recommended a Husky 365 as a general use larger mid-size. Any users got experience with this...I'm normally a Stihl user as thats all I have ever had.

As per Morten said, probably the wrong thread but for the record, the 365 will never set the world alight for speed but it will ring up all day with a decent amount or torque and power so a solid reliable working saw but no racer!

Pulled the 029 apart today :thumbdown:

The piston has been making contact with the cylinder and worn so much that the piston could rock in the cylinder, and has come into contact with the conrod.

Anbody want to buy an 029 ? one carefull lady owner :sneaky2:

Whats the cylinder like? no chance of fixing it with a new piston off fleabay?

You would be suprised what you can get going again when you put spuds mind to it:001_tt2: as i have just found out :001_tongue:

The cylinder looks fine to my untrained eye so I might bung a new piston in it, seen one on flea bay for £18 the oem part is £60 :001_rolleyes:.

The bearings are all smooth and tight, Im just not sure what caused the problem in the first place.

With the cylinder you are looking for deep scoring and aliminium tranfer which will need to be removed before you put the new piston in.

I put a cheap piston in but with stihl rings on. as for the original cause mmmm could be a little more challenging, i was lucky it was crap fuel and carb had been fiddled with, so i put a new carb kit in and a tune up and i was away. To be thorough you need to do a pressure test and check seals etc.

There is a chunk of piston missing so would flush the crankcase out with white spirit or fuel - spin the crank round with fluid in the crankcase void until the fluid comes out as clean as it went in.

On the cylinder, look for damage or chips to the inlet and exhaust port plus check the transfers for any damage as well as the plating.

As far as pistons go, go on ebay and purchase one of the Meteor or Episan ones from Leo Dandikrop or Max Moto - both good traders and about one weeks delivery - there appear to be two types so make sure you get the right one. Both types are good quality with decent rings - I usually opt for Meteor first.

Working on the 029 is a sod so personally I would fit a quality piston and end up with a nice saw with original power than a Chinese one that may be a bit loose in the bore with brittle rings - choice is yours:001_rolleyes::lol::thumbup:

Cheers ill do that :thumbup1:

Whats the normal cause for a piston to wear as bad as this one, its been worn down by quite a few mm from the rings down and allowed the piston to rock enough to come into contact with the con rod :confused1:

Di I need instant gasket from stilh or is there an off the shelf one I can buy?

Many thanks for all the help that your not only giving Me but also so many other members of the forum :thumbup: we all owe you enough beer to sink a battle ship :thumbup1: