What's on your bench today?

spudulike

268 ( non xp), found in a council skip by my pals dad , has been lying in a shed for about 6 years until he gave it to me free as no use for him , no bar , looks like it had been crushed as the handle was bent and broken, chain brake handle was bent and cracked top cover was missing , air filter was broken off and a dent in the muffler and the fuel and oil cap missing , mouse had been chewing on the plug rubber but no big deal there so..apart from that it was not too bad , took it apart for inspection and only thing i found was the fuel line had been pulled when it got crushed and when the saw returned to its usual position the line had folded over so would,t run again for more than a few seconds , so likely why it ended up in a skip , checked the carb and looked good as new inside so blew it all out but nothing showed put it together for a test run anyway . still hone marks on the jug and machine marks on the piston and only a couple of tiny lines so not a huge amount of use and still the OEM piston and cly (Gilardoni) .Test fitted the handle and fuel and oil caps form my 61( 266 conversion) and bolted right on , found replacemet top cover and air filtercover for £15($20) on ebay so waiting on them ,my spare 262 filter is the same one and fits to the frame perfect so that was a bonus too , fitted the brake handle from my spares 262 xp and it fitted perfectly to the mag 268 casing rinsed out the fuel and oil tanks got a new fuel line form my local husky dealer and fitted it .filled it with fuel and oil , put a splash in the carb and it fired up right away and stopped another splash and it runs sweet as a watch and oiling good , set it four stroking at 13000 for now , not run in wood yet ..but yip a good deal there :)

IMG_5445.jpg.db7848289e2dce93bc2bca6fbad0b49d.jpg

IMG_5446.jpg.7d0d868ecb218b1013cb2234dc873a56.jpg

IMG_5448.jpg.547160beb58ddb270bee7bc90acd511c.jpg

IMG_5444.jpg.7da5dff201717d850e1188f0602e2467.jpg

IMG_5453.jpg.7f86fc92e0dc5de3b43d6c3a58132b7f.jpg

IMG_5451.jpg.47d8ad3f8aa0fa006a0e3aa205576e4e.jpg

IMG_5452.jpg.05c3c4221cbf4d3ec8b8806111d55b96.jpg

Ok not a saw but a strimmer, picked up a stihl fs108 earlier today, tidy used condition, was smoking a little bit and the old boy said he hadnt used it for a year, so I suspected old fuel, bought it back emtied tank and refilled with fresh started ran fine, tried to adjust carb to stop smoke and ended up worse now will fire once then flood, have reset carb screws and no joy, just keeps flooding?

Sent from my E5823 using Arbtalk mobile app

Tanarka tbc 230 stopped running, crank seals had gone and bearings bad so replaced all sealed good pressure test and vac. Only starts on full throttle then as soon as you let off it stops and then will restart on full throttle, so cleaned carb and no improvement any ideas.

Ok not a saw but a strimmer, picked up a stihl fs108 earlier today, tidy used condition, was smoking a little bit and the old boy said he hadnt used it for a year, so I suspected old fuel, bought it back emtied tank and refilled with fresh started ran fine, tried to adjust carb to stop smoke and ended up worse now will fire once then flood, have reset carb screws and no joy, just keeps flooding?

Sounds like the needle valve isn't seating correctly, it is possible that the diaphragm has hardened and is holding the needle open all the time.

I would pressure test the carb but a new carb kit will probably sort it!

Sounds like the needle valve isn't seating correctly, it is possible that the diaphragm has hardened and is holding the needle open all the time.

I would pressure test the carb but a new carb kit will probably sort it!

I was suspecting that was the way to go, just wanted to check 👍

Tanarka tbc 230 stopped running, crank seals had gone and bearings bad so replaced all sealed good pressure test and vac. Only starts on full throttle then as soon as you let off it stops and then will restart on full throttle, so cleaned carb and no improvement any ideas.

If the engine is sealed and the compression is good then it is probably fuel related. Test the fuel line and give the carb another looking at. It sounds like the low speed fuel delivery isn't correct so look at this - new carb kit perhaps!

Had an MS200T in today, the owner had already had a Stihl agent go over it as it had been running erratically and had been fitted with new seals, impulse line, refurb carb etc to the tune of over £200 so expected it not to need too much to sort out the issues.

I don't know the dealer but what follows really pisses me off....first thing I noticed was the manifold clamp was fitted upside down:wtf:

The next thing I noticed were the seals were installed the wrong way round:wtf:

I did the porting the owner requested, fitted new seals and then pressure/vacuum tested the saw, had a slight leakand pushed the bung in the manifold a little deeper, it was better but not perfect and found a slight leak round the impulse line - it wasn't a Stihl one but a larger bore piece of fuel pipe - I use fuel pipe for jobs like this but the CORRECT internal diameter:001_rolleyes:

When I took all the bungs out from the pressure and vacuum checks, I checked the manifold and bingo:thumbdown: the guy that had fitted it had stuck a screwdriver straight through what looks like a new manifold and we all know that these things are well over £20:001_rolleyes:

I then looked at the "rebuilt carb" and all I found was a new pump diaphragm and no gauze filter fitted, the carb was much older than the resto of the saw which was in very good order, nice paint and plastics.

I am not knocking dealers, I am knocking dealers that charge good rates for inferior substandard and damn right incompetent repairs. The chain brake is a safety feature and was bunged full of wood chip and the "repair" could have seized the machine despite the circa five turns out that the carb was set on to make it work:001_rolleyes:.

Here are the pics....enjoy

I think the workshop should pay you for putting everything right.

These little 22cc engines were about the most reliable engine I have ever encountered. They just keep going and going.

I have sold thousands over the years and service hundreds each year, yet have only once had to replace a crank seal and have never changed a bearing.

So this makes me ask what caused the seals and bearings to fail in the first place and wonder if that cause is also responsible for other. as yet unfound problems.

I have had engines that are simply worn out and have low compression which then causes exactly the symptoms you have, so its worth testing the compression. They will work down to 110 psi after a fashion, but are really a bit too far gone at this figure.

Similar symptoms will also be found as Spud says, from a poor carb, but as there is no slow speed circuit on the barrel carb its less likely. A poor mixture however will cause the engine to stall at tick over.

If the engine is sealed and the compression is good then it is probably fuel related. Test the fuel line and give the carb another looking at. It sounds like the low speed fuel delivery isn't correct so look at this - new carb kit perhaps!

Turned out to be over fuelling so fitted carb kit but no differences still the same over fuelling,