What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Well you can try turning it anti clockwise but it will never come off, the left hand thread is there to stop the clutch undoing as the machine cuts......think about it please:001_rolleyes:

Maybe that is why it won't come off!!!!

Okay, I was joking :001_tt2: I'm not that thick!

Thanks for the suggestions though, grinding the socket sounds like a good one. I'll have another go at it over the weekend

Your 346XP cylinder is almost ported BTW, just the upper transfers to do then bevelling the modified port edges. New fuel line fitted as the original one snapped when the carb was removed!

Should be good once done:thumbup:

Very nice :-)

Those pesky fuel lines. Hopefully the 372 shouldn't have that problem as I replaced it not long ago.

Decided to do a mild port job on the 281xp. I managed to get some good compression simply removing the base gasket. But there were consequences.

Removing the base gasket got me this:

160446000.FyvWcf97.jpg

Which resulted in this:

160445998.trg2PyOO.jpg

Damaging this:

160445999.NeIHAbzV.jpg

That's the bottom of the starter handle in two pieces there. Granted it is a HyWay cheap repro of a Stihl Elasto Start - but this happened whilst getting the compression. So as it stands, all I know is it is somewhere beyond 208psi or so...

and I need to replace the starter handle.

Decided to do a mild port job on the 281xp. I managed to get some good compression simply removing the base gasket. But there were consequences.

Removing the base gasket got me this:

160446000.FyvWcf97.jpg

Which resulted in this:

160445998.trg2PyOO.jpg

Damaging this:

160445999.NeIHAbzV.jpg

That's the bottom of the starter handle in two pieces there. Granted it is a HyWay cheap repro of a Stihl Elasto Start - but this happened whilst getting the compression. So as it stands, all I know is it is somewhere beyond 208psi or so...

and I need to replace the starter handle.

Long time no hear Wes, those 181/281s are a bit of a pig to pull over as standard let alone with extra compression, they do go well though. Done any porting on it?

My puter AND mobile left this life unexpectedly. Had to scramble just to replace them.

Mildly ported. Added some intake, got slightly jiggy with the transfetrs, a lot of exhaust(in timing more than width to keep the dynamic compression reasonable and make her easier to pull over), also removed a ring - it had two full sized rings. The fit was tight-ish, but since the bore is VERY hard chrome plated(ask me how I know), I am not afraid of it scoring if things go arseways. I was unimpressed with the feel of the rings, tho. Very hard and un-elastic. So gonna order a new caber one. Hell, might just get a new piston just to be safe.

Edited by wyk

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipP5ZqtpqxGPgzT6FQaEbxELbDBf-9WCxmr-OKqyhttps://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMPzIHB9SCOPBJDKJ9BAcgVQ9A8jch68LkbD6bshttps://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipNH1mK06Nh2CVgHRWIOXdQbRwE09A4L-MGwhKuh

So my mate has given me this old topper to rehabilitate...he said the guy who gave it to him said it was running about five years ago! No model number on the saw that I can see, anyone know what it is? If I can identify it I can then start looking for workshop manuals etc.

cheers guys!