What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Had a 039 in a long time ago, it had been seized so fitted a new piston etc and it ran but not too great. Found the carb was a bit worn so fitted new and it ran a lot better. Compression was never great - 150 tops but adequate.

Well......this saw came back, reset the carb and back out, failed, came back, went out....well, you have the picture. This saw was the spawn of the Devil and nothing would sort it.

I felt guilty that it wasn't right, that is just the way I am, I don't like taking money and the customer not having a working saw so had it back after I ported a 372 for the fella and said it may be a long project.

Well - I tore in to it this week, measured the squish, stripped it down again, found a slight abrasion to the piston so smoothed and re-honed the cylinder. Everything else seemed OK. I compared the roof of the exhaust port distance to the squish band and it is significantly less than other cylinders I had to hand so now understand why the compression wasn't higher.

Found the flywheel had been rubbing on the plastic behind it so eased both plastic and flywheel to give clearance. pressure and vacuum check. Stripped the carb and there it was. A tiny sliver of wood stuck in the low speed jet pickup:001_rolleyes: No wonder the damn thing never idled well and was a bitch to start! The carb was a new one so never really checked it thoroughly - my mistake.

Went at a big lump of conifer, lots of noodling and it works fine and starts with no effort at all - months of hassle over:thumbup:

I won't charge, I got paid for the first repair and that usually does it on 99.9% of machines and will take this one on the nose. Just glad I got it sorted at long last.

Those are the ones that play on the mind right enough ! After all the tests and checks and "Still " there seems nothing wrong. A new carb you would take as a datum point ..Why wouldn't you..Its New ! Good to get that one out of your head I'm sure and with the number of saws that go through your hands the fact " 1 " has been this much trouble shows logical deduction and tests work 99.99% . :001_smile:

In case you have missed my earlier cry for help, I have an 056 Stihl in need of a flywheel as it has no spark and a new ignition unit hasn't cured it.

It is the later SEM type so part 1115 400 1208 which is the breaker-less one with the sealed unit coil.

If anyone has a scrapper and can't remove the flywheel, I am sure we can come to some sort of agreement! Will pay, not looking for a favour.

Busy as ever....560XP that was supposed to need a new P&C, found slight air leaks on the seals, dodgy throttle cable and the main cause, a perforated pumping diaphragm. All sorted now and working fine.

MS261, quick tune and yet another clutch drum kit, bearing and oiler arm.

HS81 - carb rebuild as the needle was leaking.

KM56 - throttle cable replaced.

MS200 - the air filter cover screw had been forced and the debris fallen in to the engine knocking out the top end so rebuilt it with a new P&C - checked the rod was straight and all good.

395Xp - carb rebuild and re-tune

056 - full strip and rebuild, new ignition module fitted.

KM56 - not driving the head. Melted bush so new one on order.

Still got a load of kit in to fix including a couple of MS200s for servicing and porting, a 262 that wont run, a MS660 for porting and a 346XP for rebuild.....and more!!

Mad busy at the moment:thumbup:

Busy as ever....560XP that was supposed to need a new P&C, found slight air leaks on the seals, dodgy throttle cable and the main cause, a perforated pumping diaphragm. All sorted now and working fine.

MS261, quick tune and yet another clutch drum kit, bearing and oiler arm.

HS81 - carb rebuild as the needle was leaking.

KM56 - throttle cable replaced.

MS200 - the air filter cover screw had been forced and the debris fallen in to the engine knocking out the top end so rebuilt it with a new P&C - checked the rod was straight and all good.

395Xp - carb rebuild and re-tune

056 - full strip and rebuild, new ignition module fitted.

KM56 - not driving the head. Melted bush so new one on order.

Still got a load of kit in to fix including a couple of MS200s for servicing and porting, a 262 that wont run, a MS660 for porting and a 346XP for rebuild.....and more!!

Mad busy at the moment:thumbup:

Spud, I think I have a partially gutted 056 Super in the garage somewhere. Not sure what's good and what isn't, or what's missing, but it's yours if you want it.

Spud, I think I have a partially gutted 056 Super in the garage somewhere. Not sure what's good and what isn't, or what's missing, but it's yours if you want it.

Thanks Joe, I got there in the end, I had nipped the HT lead and it was earthing so was an easy fix and all is good but if you don't want it, next time you send something in, stick it in the box and I will knock a few quid off the bill:thumbup:

Thanks as always

Thanks Joe, I got there in the end, I had nipped the HT lead and it was earthing so was an easy fix and all is good but if you don't want it, next time you send something in, stick it in the box and I will knock a few quid off the bill:thumbup:

Thanks as always

No worries. IIRC I binned it due to a sieze and couldn't find parts for it.