What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Car batteries and metal go to the scrap yard nowadays when I have anything like a trailer load. Batteries fetch 35p a kilo and the last lot I took along with some steel in the 4ft trailer made me £26. Better than a poke with a sharp stick I thought.

To be honest mate I had it sitting around for so long with the intention of grabbing a load of old ones I have stashed down the farm (old batterys which have just lasted a bit longer doing electric fencers before dieing) but the missus had been harping on about it for ages I just got rid for a peaceful life whilst I was going down the recycle centre. I know what you mean tho.

Nothing on my bench today!!!

The first day off in 10 weeks and I still can't get away from machines.

I caught up on 10 weeks of gardening in my own garden today, requiring the use of

one ride on Stiga

one hayterette

two chainsaws

one brush cutter

one Eliet Minor shredder

one blower

one broom

Still, it looks a damn sight better now:biggrin:

2 saws for your garden? Didn't think anything was that big! Or did you use the wrong aspen?

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Nothing on my bench today!!!

The first day off in 10 weeks and I still can't get away from machines.

I caught up on 10 weeks of gardening in my own garden today, requiring the use of

one ride on Stiga

one hayterette

two chainsaws

one brush cutter

one Eliet Minor shredder

one blower

one broom

Still, it looks a damn sight better now:biggrin:

Hi, whats your opinion of the Eliet Minor, my Sons partner bought a brand new machine for him at a closing down auction but it never got commissioned as he thought it may be a bit small for his needs.

We have put it up for sale but depending on what you think he may as well use it on smaller jobs to save hauling the Timberwolf around.

thanks

slim

... defrosting my fridge with a hammer and a long screwdriver!!

Turn off appliance - completely empty - place large bowl of boiling water in base of freezer - place loosely gathered linen hand-towel on floor abutting freezer - clean baskets & trays, dry & wipe over with mild solution of bi-carb and water, then place to one side - use blunt ended wooden spatula, preferably one with slight bend at one end - use serving tray to catch falling frost & ice, emptying as and when into sink or over weeds - remove frost first - as thicker areas start to defrost, loosen the edges of each flat area and ends of each ridged area, as this facilitates sides movement of each individual area - continue to remove frost and ice as it loosens.

When fully defrosted, remove bowl if you've not done so already - mop whole compartment with clean cloth to dry - when dry, wipe over whole compartment with mild solution of bi-carb and water. Power-up freezer and refill in orderly manner, taking care to dispose of stuff you'll not consume in a month of Sundays.

Notes. While defrosting or cleaning out a freezer/fridge, never use a screwdriver or hammer. If you puncture the appliance's inner skin, it's game over. Better to work slowly and keep your money in the bank.

Edited by TGB

Hi, whats your opinion of the Eliet Minor, my Sons partner bought a brand new machine for him at a closing down auction but it never got commissioned as he thought it may be a bit small for his needs.

We have put it up for sale but depending on what you think he may as well use it on smaller jobs to save hauling the Timberwolf around.

thanks

slim

I started selling Eliet machines about 6 months ago as I had been very dissapointed with all the other so called chipper shredders on the market at around £1000. They simply do not work. Branches have to be trimmed of all side sticks to get them through the chipper part, and the brash which goes through the top and into the shredding flails, should not be any more than 13mm dia or it will pull the machine apart in time.

I have tried every one I sold and have given up in favour of a big pile, a gallon of petrol and a match.

Sure, the Eliet Minor is double the price, but it works. I knew it would, but wanted to prove it to myself. Yesterday I coppiced some 2yr old willow as well as pruning forsythia etc.

Some of the willow was near 50mm at the base and 4m long. The minor tackled it with ease. I fed one at a time with the larger stuff, but around 6 or 8 at a time with the 25mm dia stuff. A whole armful of forsythia was a doddle.

I also cut some branches from a leylandii which is shortly to come down. These were about 50mm and curved (like they are) with plenty of greenery. They went through no problem with no further trimming.

Its strength is that its a shredder, rather than a chipper so takes everything through one parallel entry chute. Stones and nails to not cause it any serious damage.

You must never compare it with a Timberwolf, its not in the same league. But it is a very capable machine for a gardener.

P1010099.jpg.e8f01f58146f2755cc95e1570dff35ed.jpg

P1010100.jpg.43af94812a31012f5988e50acd37a644.jpg

Turn off appliance - completely empty - place large bowl of boiling water in base of freezer - place loosely gathered linen hand-towel on floor abutting freezer - clean baskets & trays, dry & wipe over with mild solution of bi-carb and water, then place to one side - use blunt ended wooden spatula, preferably one with slight bend at one end - use serving tray to catch falling frost & ice, emptying as and when into sink or over weeds - remove frost first - as thicker areas start to defrost, loosen the edges of each flat area and ends of each ridged area, as this facilitates sides movement of each individual area - continue to remove frost and ice as it loosens.

When fully defrosted, remove bowl if you've not done so already - mop whole compartment with clean cloth to dry - when dry, wipe over whole compartment with mild solution of bi-carb and water. Power-up freezer and refill in orderly manner, taking care to dispose of stuff you'll not consume in a month of Sundays.

Notes. While defrosting or cleaning out a freezer/fridge, never use a screwdriver or hammer. If you puncture the appliance's inner skin, it's game over. Better to work slowly and keep your money in the bank.

How about starting a "whats going on in your kitchen" thread:thumbup:

Our present freezer is a frost free model but when the old one needed doing I used to open the door and put the fan heater blowing into it for 15 minutes before starting. You could hear the ice falling when it was ready for attacking with tools.

On the shredder subject I hired one from a local tool supplier a couple of years ago and took it back as all it did was turn the branches into loops that looked a bit like caterpillars. I can't remember what make it was.

It's not a chainsaw or a two stroke but it's an engine none the less. It's a Suzuki GZ 125 engine whose cam chain had eaten through the side of the block and I got the job of stripping it and putting a new block and chain in it. I've been looking for a manual online because I want to know where the timing marks are and what to torque the head bolts down to (usually just plenty or till my elbow clicks)

IMG_20140420_171224.jpg.28818aaa61109270b3453c18bc71c602.jpg

It's not a chainsaw or a two stroke but it's an engine none the less. It's a Suzuki GZ 125 engine whose cam chain had eaten through the side of the block and I got the job of stripping it and putting a new block and chain in it. I've been looking for a manual online because I want to know where the timing marks are and what to torque the head bolts down to (usually just plenty or till my elbow clicks)

Bear with me - have a feeling my gs/dr 125 manual covers the GZ too :thumbup1:

EDIT: Cyl head cover bolts 7ft/lb

head nut 8mm - 19.5 ft/lb

head nut 6mm - 7 ft/lb

barrel retaining nuts 6mm - 7 ft/lb

Timing marks, one on flywheel under threaded plug next to barrel and the cam timing marks are on the end of the cam - a thin line, put it in line with the top of the casting the cam sits in and have the sprocket locating pin to the top (hope that makes sense).

Edited by Chris Sheppard