Silver Birch topping!

Mark Bolam

So if I thump you on the end of the nose thats bad, but if you've been thumped on the nose before it's fine, as I'm only "re" thumping you??:confused1:

Well if that nose has been thumped and has a weak attachment point and I then told lies and that nose grew, it could become dangerous and fall off.

My tuppence worth is, you guys might be quite happy to top and run off with the money, but what happens for the future managemnt of that tree, seems none of you care that in 10 years time some kid may be killed because some burk topped a tree and didn't advise the owners as to the future managment.

Not that you'd care, as long as you got some money to feed your kids, stuff everyone elses :sneaky2:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Entirely in his court, if he wanted to go down that road then there's nothing you can do, but at least (I feel) we did the right thing. Better than felling the trees just because the guy wanted to look at a field rather than a row of trees, (his garden was massive, no reason at all to fell them APART from the fact he didn't like trees. I'm no tree hugger, and I do understand some trees NEED to be felled for various reasons, but this job was not for one of those reasons.

When you are asked to quote for work you are taken into the clients confidence, the only reason your mate knew those trees were to be felled was because the client told him, he then used that information to the detriment of the client, very unprofessional, IMO.

If the trees were of importance they should have already been TPO'd!!

When you are asked to quote for work you are taken into the clients confidence, the only reason your mate knew those trees were to be felled was because the client told him, he then used that information to the detriment of the client, very unprofessional, IMO.

Got a point there Huck, I have to agree mate :001_tt1:

But shame most customers just see's you as a figure on a quote and if that figure isn't the lowest

Give the trees a chance Skyhuck.

If we don't use our judgement over the average bod then what chance do we have of any work in ten years time.

Have snitched on a tree tpo just the once and smile with smugness every time I drive past it, untouched and looking very unfelled!:001_smile:

I worked on a (not for certain, but the owners checked church records and is very likely)600 hundred year old yew tree, rear garden, out of site from the road, and 'not in the public eye'. Beautiful tree, just removed a few bits of dead, very light re-shape, and slight crown raise. Checked before hand, and NO TPO...did it not warrent a tpo? Sure it did if some one was planning on felling it for no other reason than they didn't like it.

My tuppence worth is, you guys might be quite happy to top and run off with the money, but what happens for the future managemnt of that tree, seems none of you care that in 10 years time some kid may be killed because some burk topped a tree and didn't advise the owners as to the future managment.

Not that you'd care, as long as you got some money to feed your kids, stuff everyone elses :sneaky2:

I would never advise (and I think most of "us guys" are the same) bad practice and would explain the likely outcomes it is the clients tree. I would state that the tree will likely become dangerous in the future. I do often convince clients not to reduce their trees and lose work because of it.

Some folk won't listen and in the end we earn a living cutting trees and if they pay us to do work which we don't like that's something we have to cope with. Unless you've work coming out your ears and don't need the cash.

There are some trees that I would not mutilate but they'd have to be special not just some silver birch.

I worked on a (not for certain, but the owners checked church records and is very likely)600 hundred year old yew tree, rear garden, out of site from the road, and 'not in the public eye'. Beautiful tree, just removed a few bits of dead, very light re-shape, and slight crown raise. Checked before hand, and NO TPO...did it not warrent a tpo? Sure it did if some one was planning on felling it for no other reason than they didn't like it.

Not all veteran trees are protected.

In fact most are not but belong on the tree register.

How can it be ok to remove a 800 yr old tree because it is not protected due to it not being in public veiw but is dropping leaves in someones gutters who have a five year ownership of the tree and decide to drop it because they can?:scared1:

If you look closely at the trees on the Veteran list, more than half of them are old pollards, topped or coppiced trees.

Perci, I like your sentment. Our woodlands (both new and ancient) need our care more than individual trees.

And as for calling the council about the pines, that is very unproffesional behaviour.