2) everyone else has 28" or 30" so you'll be bullied if you got a weeny 20"

3) skip chain to clear out those chips

4) good size trees

5) terrain- they got spiked boots, and walk the log

6) short bar=back ache

7) can't think of 7

8) americans love sharpening chain

?

There was a related thread on here a few months back - someone was asking about max. bar length, I think, on an MS440. I found a few old references which indicated that Stihl have scaled back the max. recommended length in the UK. If you look at the Stihl website and select the different countries you can work out which lengths are recommended in which countries (if you are sufficiently bored with nothing better to do, such as when minding the children.......)

Alec

• 5 months later...

Somewhat late to this discussion (though new to the site, so that hopefully excuses reviving the thread), but this issue and an interest in certification/training procedures is why I joined the site. But I digress.

From the perspective of a U.S. saw user, the predominance of short bars seen on your side of the pond is an unfamiliar concept over here on mine. Except in small climbing saws (MS200t, for example) and tiny homeowner saws (MS170, Echo 310), you simply cannot purchase a bar shorter than 16" They aren't stocked in shops, they don't appear in catalogs, and you never see them in use in real life.

By way of example, Stihl 026/260 were routinely sold as 18-20" saws, even in hardwood country, which may be fine if you're only cutting with the last 4-5" of the bar while nipping off small limbs, but it does not make for a very lively saw when the bar is buried. In softwood country, such as in the Pacific northwest, you'll see 50cc saws with 24" bars running skip chain.

When I special ordered a 13" bar for an old Husqvarna 238se that I use for thinning out smaller trees and for firewood <10", the guys at the shop stood around staring at it when I came to pick it up, giving it funny looks as if it were from another planet. The fact that the saw handles like a dream for limbing with this bar as compared to the 16-18" bars that they were usually equipped with, impresses everybody who runs it. Yet short bars remain a special-order item.

On a tangentially related note, does Stihl sell their ES solid bar w/ replaceable tip in 15", or is that length only found in a laminated bar?

A few years back I bought a "proper" west coast saw , big husky , 385 or 394 can't remember now , but what I do remember is it had a full skip chain with the rakers filed comletely down , full wrap handle and a twin port muffler . Big soft wood only me thinks .

I reckon it's a cheap selling trick, similar to all the crappy 35cc saws you can buy here with 16" or even 18" bars on. Unknowing people buy them as "surely bigger is better?".

My 35cc Makita DCS3501 has 16 inch bar, and with the 91VXL chain it cuts without the slightest grumble even when the bar doesn't protrude out the other side of the wood.