Snow chains

firewood

Yeah...i know the truck will struggle when empty. I'm thinking that at least I can get to the customer even if I cant get home!

I want to sell my tipping trailer that I have been using with the land cruiser when snow is really bad so hoping a set of chains will enable me to stay in the transit.

http://www.kinnoirwoodfuel.co.uk

I first brought 'Snowchains' to use in mud on my 4x2 ranger - works brill. I used to call it the 'poormans 4x4' due to getting my hands muddy getting them off. But really for say £120 for a set of quality chains against buying a new truck has to be cheaper.

Look on the Brindley chain site - snowchains shop. These are top quality Austrian chains easy to fit don't damage tyres, I suggest contacting Brindley if you have double wheels.

There is a 'thing' against snow chains in the UK - as if you loose 'man points' putting them on a 4x4 but driving on greasy mud/ice down hill, they cut through and you find grip. Since buying the first set I have x3 sets the latest for my L200, worked great last winter in 10" of snow towing cars uphill and when working in muddy woods. Brindley make all types of chain products - see the 'forestery section' even large tractors with chains fitted.

They fit easier over A/T or road tyres but will fit over M/T's, another good point is you don't need to put up with the noise of M/T's just carry a set of snow chains.

The tip is to practice fitting in daylight a few times and to fit them before you get stuck:thumbup1:

• 1 month later...

the manufacturer always state the max speed which is very low so guess they would only be good as a get you home sort of thing, horses for courses and all that

Last years snow was fun with people driving at the same speed as a sunny summers day, crazy and passed a few who paid the price and wondered why they were up a lamp post.

Normal max speed for snowchains is 30 mph, bit of a noise when running on tarmac but I have'nt had any tyre probs for short distances. The normal snow condition of bare 3-rut system on country roads in the snow, where both 'share' the centre rut, at least with snowchains you can stay on the snow parts and if you go off you can get back on again.

I haven't used chains on a van but I've used them on the car a few times over the last couple of winters. I don't really need them but they're good to have and only cost about £50.

Round here the minor roads don't get touched but the main roads get cleared pretty quickly, so there's quite a bit of running on tarmac hunting the snowiest bits. It's not ideal but the chains are definitely worth having if you want to keep mobile. I've got winter tyres this year so hopefully will just be keeping the chains as a last resort.