never let the fire service do tree surgery

testcricket01

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All we have to go on is the evidence before us and I saw no injury so no one got hurt. I am pretty sure if the vid had an injury on it they would have included it, nothing like gore to get your web counters spinning.

It’s my guess that someone though the tree was unsafe and that the fire crew were told to make the tree safe, I can see no other reason a fire crew would be having at a tree. They would hardly have moved it away would they, that’s way beyond make safe. As far as “let’s wait for a tree surgeon” goes, as before, DO they have that option????? I think not, firemen do what the watch commander tells them to do and if he gets asked to make the tree safe then that’s what happens.

As far as comparing this with others, well it hardly bears comparison, let’s not forget that others are on a price for the job, these lads are on a salary. I am pretty sure they would be glad to relinquish the job to someone else but till that happens they muck in as they are told to.

If you have an issue with the emergency services dealing with the odd bit of tree work you need to start complaining to the people higher up, this was just a bunch of lads doing the best they could with the tools at hand.

How would you fare in the critical eyes of a professional if we asked you to extract an accident victim from a mangled car with a hacksaw?

HI mate your right there jon :thumbup:

treequip ,

Sounds to me like you are employed in the fire service and have a second job doing tree work.

Rubbish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbdown:

His posts are just common sense IMO.

Why do people have such an issue with this vid???????????

Were they pretty pathetic at getting the tree down?? Yes!!

Did they get it done?? Yes!!

Was anyone hurt?? No!!

WHAT IS THE PROBLEM????????????????:confused1::confused1:

give the blokes a break with all the lives they save,it could of been during or after a storm when the tree firms could of been busy so they did what they could and got it done,my mate used to be in the fire service and used to train the other blokes with dealing with wind blown trees before health and saftey got hold of them

I know for a fact that the fire service ( certainly the big counties put blokes through courses. I even saw one instructor running a course with a tree on a car and showing them the safest way to cut it up. I don't no why they didn't use a saw I don't care they do a good Job in I'm sure hard conditions

Guys, get a grip, they got the job done in 5 minutes with a small axe and a bit of three strand nylon rope.

To compare you would need to put a fire out with a bucket and a domestic water feed, or maybe extract some poor bugger from a mangled car with a tin opener.

I do my own plumbing and electrical at home but friends in those trades don’t take the piss out of me. Why is it that some people in this industry are so precious about who they believe can and can’t touch trees?

It is after all only a tree.

:thumbup: Totally agree. Yep, they made a bit of a pigs ear of it, wrong tools and techniques etc, but come on, these guys put their lives on the line everyday of the week.