how to price a job

Graham Jackson

hi all this is the first of many daft questions im just starting out and need help in working out how much to charge for jobs i know tha i have to include fuel oil chipper hire and any disposal costs , but need hellp with the pricing of the laubour side of things i know that climbing and dismanteling a tree will be more than felling one but what would be a rough gide of costs any advice would b gr8 thanks jako:confused1:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would include your Insurance cost and any and all taxes you will be paying for your jobs.

Unless you have already figured these Two items into your hourly rate they should be included. Like anywhere else the going labor rate will vary and you will encounter competition so you will need to be prepared for that. Your fixed cost are most of everything you have listed and I have suggested. Your Variable or nor re occuring cost are a little more tricky to calculate. After that you still have to come up with a profit off of your hired labor and one for your self. It take a little time but you can and will do it. All the best.

elg

I'm not sure what you are asking here....

"need hellp with the pricing of the laubour side of things i know that climbing and dismanteling a tree will be more than felling one but what would be a rough gide of costs"

every tree is different, what you are asking is far too vague. it's along the same lines as 'how much money does it cost to take a tree down?'

or are you asking about this - how much ££ do you want per hour as a wage? how long will the job take in hours? times the two together and there the answer. but that is so obvious, i guess you weren't asking that.

You must charge for your time and that is the same regardless of pruning, felling, hedge cutting, planting.

Your operating costs are the same so you must charge the same for your time.

Don't try undercutting to get the jobs as you degrade yourself and draw down on the industry. Damaging to everyone in the long run.

hi all this is the first of many daft questions im just starting out and need help in working out how much to charge for jobs i know tha i have to include fuel oil chipper hire and any disposal costs , but need hellp with the pricing of the laubour side of things i know that climbing and dismanteling a tree will be more than felling one but what would be a rough gide of costs any advice would b gr8 thanks jako:confused1:

Do what we all do work out how long you think it will take what the running costs will be add a little bit on for unforseen eventualitys. Probably loose abit of money at times to begin with but keep gaining experience eventualy you will look at a job and just know straight away what it will cost. Pricing does get easier with time you will still balls up from time to to time but thats life just keep geting stuck in. Oh and dont be A: Too cheap you will strugle in the long run to keep going. and B: be out for a quick buck you wont get repeat custom if you rush to make your money.

Good look