i think i've upset my local stihl dealer

DN22 Gardening

But surely if things go the way the car industry has, its the cost of servicing and parts that makes the money not the initial sale so much. So if I was a local dealer I'd just be happy that my local guys are still using the brand I sell and will hopefully come to for service and support.

The mark up on spare parts for chainsaws is tiny totally different from car manufacturers. Spare parts are expensive to buy because the manufacturer charges big time for them so the servicing guy makes very very little.

I would hazard a guess that warranty work is also paid less then 'normal work'.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is selling 1 saw a day and making £150 profit better than selling 20 saws in the same day making £10 per saw profit. Who is going to have the bigger happier customer base?

I'd say selling 1 saw a day for £150 profit is hugely better than 20 a day with £10 profit (or even £20). There's all the card charges, wrapping stuff up, doing receipts etc etc., more talking to people, much higher costs, more chances of mistakes.

But of course paying a cheaper price for the same saw is going to result in happier customers especially when the back up service is good.

But by this rational in the end there would be no local dealers and just a few huge dealers left.

Again I'm not saying that's a good or a bad thing - but that's the way it would go.

But by this rational in the end there would be no local dealers and just a few huge dealers left.

Again I'm not saying that's a good or a bad thing - but that's the way it would go.

I doubt it, there's always those who want to feel the stuff they are about to buy, try stuff on etc. Then there is the "just drop in on the way to/from a job" custom, quick small repairs etc.

You don't want to wait 24 hrs for a pull-cord or spark plug or similar small stuff that a local dealer always has in stock. Even if they have to charge £10 for that bit of cord, and I can get it on 'tinterweb for 10p if it means I can get on with the job I'm happy to spend those £10.

But why bother if it is under warranty? Also, many warranties are invalidated when you repair things yourself. :001_smile:

Understood, but it is not even the cord, its just the handle ie a knot!

you could get an old one out of the shed, without the easistart stuff and use that till the bits arrive.

I think what is comes down to is that whilst it is the aim of many retailers and indeed manufacturers (note: Husqvarna and Stihl's sales policy until recently precluding the possibility of online sales) to keep things local, they are fighting a losing battle against the reality of a global market place. Whilst I appreciate that servicing needs to be done on a local level, dealers are going to have to wake up to the fact that if they don't wish to compete in the sale of machinery, they aren't going to get many people wanting to pay the rather large premium they command.

Jonathan

I think from reading dn22's post he means the bloke at the shop said the saw will have to come in as they have to fit warranty parts.

I find a lot of people in these shops have a chip on their shoulder us lot must annoy them or something haha I prefer to get my stuff over the Internet now. I can order stuff from London cheaper than walking into a shop and don't need to waste fuel driving there:)

HI lorry your right there i will be all my saw now off justin now not going back to bristrol now mate thanks jon :thumbup:

don't you just cut the cord, lose one cm or so and fit a new one? my stihls are a few years so old unaware of this bonding thing.

That would be the logical way out, and probably what I would have done. I used a shoelace and a stick before now to get to the end of the day.

It's a bit beside the point though, he asked his local merchant to help, and they threw a hissyfit because he refused to sponsor their expensive tea-habits, not excusable.

don't you just cut the cord, lose one cm or so and fit a new one? my stihls are a few years so old unaware of this bonding thing.

I haven't seen the bonding thing either so I assume it means you can't just tie a knot in it. Anyway, a new saw shouldn't have a problem like that anyway and you would hope a main dealer would be professional enough to support the brand they represent regardless of whether they sold the saw or not. I would imagine the OP uses them for consumables and the like or at least, up until the dummy-spitting, has done. :001_smile: