Andy Collins

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You have got to be joking.

Certainly not, I struggle to find anywhere around here now that inspires me especially where my photography is concerned.

Flatford is a nice place, but there are few places like that in essex imo.

But then thats just my opinion

Hopefully off to the west coast of scotland soon though for some photography :)

Certainly not, I struggle to find anywhere around here now that inspires me especially where my photography is concerned.

Flatford is a nice place, but there are few places like that in essex imo.

But then thats just my opinion

Hopefully off to the west coast of scotland soon though for some photography :)

I really don't see where you're coming from, the Stour Valley/Cornard Mere has to be some of the nicest bits of countryside in the country, at the end of the day it was good enough for Constable and Gainsborough to paint.

Like I said it's my opinion, I find other parts of the countries landscape more inspiring than around this area, simple really.

If constable and gainsborough found the landscape so good why do a lot of thier landscape works have people or other items as the main focal point ?, more so with constables work than gainsborough.

Edited by scraggs

The first pic is missing an arb in a vest lopping the top out of the poplar (I think) to the right of the house, that would give it some "centre".

No, it's missing a HUGE tractor towing a silage trailer being driven by a bored youth busy organising his social life on the mobile :laugh1:

Like I said it's my opinion, I find other parts of the countries landscape more inspiring than around this area, simple really.

If constable and gainsborough found the landscape so good why do a lot of thier landscape works have people or other items as the main focal point ?, more so with constables work than gainsborough.

Landscapes were not popular back in Constables time, in a nutshell they didnt sell well, but stick in a person, a prize horse, etc and you are more likely to sell the painting. Fashions have now changed, and landscapes are popular, as people seek to see how things "used to be", even if a bucketful of artistic licence was used. As to whether a particular area is more beautiful than another, thats purely down to the individual. Without doubt Flatford and surrounding area is very pleasant, however it is managed to keep a certain look, an artificial natural beauty, artistic licence on a grand scale, a look that brings in the myriads of tourists that wish to see "Constable Country", so in a way I tend to agree that the proper natural beauty should win over the "fake" natural beauty.

Andy I am presuming most of them pics are around Sudburys Water Meadows??? Beautiful beatiful area of a town, slowly going to pot (in my opinion).

I've worked all round the UK, flats of essex, north york moors, rolling west country and savage mid wales and yet i came back home to suffolk and its beauty never ceases to amaze me.

I work around (and live) stansfield / hawkedon and I challenge anyone to come here and say suffolk is flat and boring. turely amazing area, so hilly there is as much grass and beef cattle in this area as you'd find west country etc. the rural roads are dead quiet, apart from us 5 leading grain today ;)

If anyone wants a truely home cooked eat up one night in a PROPER village pub, try the Compasses in Stansfield. Right next to our farm and couldnt be more perfect.

Im gonna dig out some photos now and take some more tomoro :)

Despite being perfectly happy where I am, sometimes I forget what I left behind. I can be brought back down to earth with a bump when I see inner city living etc but some of these "country" pics remind me of what I grew up in. And the first picture is missing Geese and ducks.