Greenteeth sharpening

scraggs

Surely it is simply cheaper, more convenient and better for your health to just price the teeth into the job and throw them away after rather than spend valuable time not fishing, cycling, servicing wife etc...

80euros for 8 teeth

12 hours average use from set of teeth.

6.66euros per hour in teeth.

Can you not absorb this small cost per hour?

Are your margins that tight?

It must cost more than you save to sharpen 8 teeth!

THEN, you must also buy the kit required to do the job on top.

I firmly believe sharpening Greenteeth at home to be an unpleasant false economy.

Ty

:confused1: I don't get anything like that from a set. I'm turning them every 30-60mins

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get mine from Saturn machine knives...£5.50 ish each,

I cant be messed just bin them.

Cheers Matty:biggrin:

global were doing genuine ones cheaper than that i found with the ones from saturn they were a smaller diameter causing the nose of the shank to wear too soon

Surely it is simply cheaper, more convenient and better for your health to just price the teeth into the job and throw them away after rather than spend valuable time not fishing, cycling, servicing wife etc...

80euros for 8 teeth

12 hours average use from set of teeth.

6.66euros per hour in teeth.

Can you not absorb this small cost per hour?

Are your margins that tight?

It must cost more than you save to sharpen 8 teeth!

THEN, you must also buy the kit required to do the job on top.

I firmly believe sharpening Greenteeth at home to be an unpleasant false economy.

Ty

its not false economy we do ours when we are doing other stuff i.e. servicing saws filling chipper with diesel unloading tippers it fits in nicely and costs us very little in the way of time

:confused1: I don't get anything like that from a set. I'm turning them every 30-60mins

My teeth need sharpening after about 2hrs, otherwise the cutting performance is not acceptable and I waste my time and machine, even when grinding in clean soil.

Sometimes they they need sharpening after 5 minutes of grinding again when there was a 4" granite rock under the stump hidden :thumbdown:.

Well,

I've more stumps work than I can cope with, so pricing teeth into each job seems not to hold us back.

A bit like sharpening Silky blades, I price those into my work too so I don't have to worry about saving a few euros.

I always have a really good dig around the stump first as well as cut them low after cutting off the bark with an axe if they are really dirty.

I am in the lucky position that stump removal by grinding is not as common here as in the U.K.

Ty

I have been sharpening my teeth with a bit more of a unique setup that works well. Takes maybe 10-15 minutes to sharpen an entire set, I anticipate that I get 5 sharpens out of each tooth from completely dull. I'll be putting a demo video together sometime soon, will keep you all posted.

Modified tile cutter with a tooth sized port. The tile cutter has a diamond grind wheel in a water bath which keeps it cool and sharp. Simply mount a tooth into a drill and place the drill into the spot, run at a slow speed against the wheel and regularly check how much has been ground. Takes 1-2 mins per tooth. I usually just sharpen until I have 2 good edges, rather than taking it down past the wear on all sides, this way each tooth will have more sharpens + use overall. The finish is great, as sharp as new! Pictures below (I hope), video will be produced with more info soon.

WP_20140524_008.jpg.38a7cfdc38b0bd824a662dcfbe32570c.jpg

WP_20140524_007.jpg.5dddfd018f8bc905e3024bebdda07a06.jpg

WP_20140524_004.jpg.bd3bfc31cb90af4c02840c0f4e9032a9.jpg

WP_20140524_003.jpg.562c720360cf99f6968481386e0a6a87.jpg

WP_20140524_001.jpg.2e05f3278d417eee75e6990284b5ceb6.jpg