tree climbing when pregnant!? Advice needed.

big chris

Congratulations on your pregnancy.

I can't remember exactly what stage the foetus' ears and hearing develop, I think around 10weeks, but it can suffer permanent hearing damage from chainsaws and chippers from then on.

Not to mention the mental stress caused by the noise.

Ask medical doctors/surgeons, not tree doctors/surgeons.

It's more like 24 weeks and even then the sound is muffled by the amniotic fluid so I'd mainly worry about prolonged exposure to chainsaw noise after 20 weeks. My best advice would be to look on websites designed primarily for pregnancy and make an informed choice through doctors. Congratulations by the way! Wish you, bumpy and father all the best

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go for it. We have survived for hundreds of thoudsands of years and it is only in the last hundred or so that we have got so precious about things. My wife never changed a thing bout her life (around horses and animals of all sorts, breaking and schooling horses, lambing down sheep, working with all manner of domesticated and wild animals etc etc) and our son is the picture of health and well-being in every way.

I would say that your GP has more insight to it than your friends etc too.

Your baby is in a wonderfully safe place, protected from all knocks and what have you, the fitter you stay, the better your baby will do!

Go for it!

Man descended from the trees for a reason!! Perhaps, those that didn't became extinct. We do know that those who did evolved into modern man (and woman) and survived. Based on this thoroughly (and slightly Tongue in cheek) scientific theory, don't do it.

Well whats the hurry then if you can just do it 6 months after the birth? I expect you wont be working before then anyway?

I agree Steve, if you wait, then at least you can continue climbing straight after course, and practice what you have learnt without any worries, a big gap will (presume you are not planning to climb during rest of pregnancy!) mean you have to almost 'start again'. Hope it is a great 9 months for you whatever you decide to do!

i personally would say dont having said that i was chucking bales on a trailer and dragging brash chainsawi g etc from day one to night before birth with my second ..But i had to cause at the time it was just me and hubby and i had to get on with it. but if i didnt need to do anything i wouldnt as you never now and you would be gutted if something happened and you could of put off your course for six months

joy

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

Go for it if you feel fit enough to I will never forget with my 1st pg my neighbour hanging out her window screaming at me because I was out in the garden swinging an axe splitting firewood you know your own body and know your own limitations if you feel you are getting warning signals then stop but if you feel ok and are sure you want to do it then I cant see a problem myself ,or you could just wait until after and do the most sensible thing its really your decision and nobody can make that choice for you

My wife is pregnant at the moment, while I wouldn't encourage her to climb any trees, I have found that I am climbing alot more.

:lol::biggrin:

Hormones are strange things :001_smile:

i have heard of women going running and being very active while pregnant but I think you should leave the tree climbing for now.

look after yourself.

matt