what do people want!!!

simonm

I agree in the main, still being self employed to some degree but then I'm the first to be asking for a discount if I want to buy a new TV or something. Is there a difference?

yeah, thats hagling before a deal has been struck:sneaky2:

i wouldnt knock anyone for trying that.... i'd be a hypocrit if i did:laugh1:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree in the main, still being self employed to some degree but then I'm the first to be asking for a discount if I want to buy a new TV or something. Is there a difference?

Yep there is a difference. Getting a discount on the purchase of a TV before the transaction has been completed is perfectly acceptable. Asking for a discount after you have purchased the TV taken it home and installed it, will see you rightly laughed out of the store.

Quoting for tree works, and agreeing to do it tomorrow when the customer says you've got the job if you can knock of 10% and I'll pay you cash is acceptable. A customer "accepting" your quote and having the work done, who then turns round and says I'll pay you now and knock off 10% discount in my favour is not acceptable.

I have had customers ask for a senior citizen discount after the price has been agreed to, with the mean age of about 80 around these parts I tell them it's included and then they ask me I don't see it on my invoice?. I do offer discounts for product when I do Trade shows and the customer usually is compliant, others still want to play the game or get a rise out of you. "Some customers like trees need more training than others". Like billy said welcome to the world of self employment.

elg

Have you ever walked into a shop, looked around , asked how much ? And then left never to return.

Same thing :)

How is that the same thing as asking for a discount once the work has been done and a price agreed?

Sent from Rob's GalaxySII

Have you ever walked into a shop, looked around , asked how much ? And then left never to return.

Same thing :)

Yes but you went to the shop not the shop coming to you.:001_smile:

i think that is what gets to contractors is the time and expense to go and quote, for people to say "no thanks".

But we all offer a free quote so everyone, man up and stop complaining :001_tt2::biggrin:

Edited by Robert_S

To Robarb I was refering to the original post.

To others trying to knock money off isn't illegal it's just trying to knock money off, if they do they are onto a winner if not, no harm in trying.

If you allow this then beat yourself up about it, change your ways :)