accident NWS

Jason James Gairn

First time I've seen this thread too.

Big decision to move on. This has been flying around my empty head for a while but I can't seem to let go. At 52 with over 30 years climbing behind me what do I do?

I've always striven to do the best work I possibly can and shudder when I see some examples of work around the country...one of the reasons I persist in climbing! Until this year I haven't felt any slower or less proficient but the accumulated bumps, breaks etc catch up.

So when do you call it a day and step aside and what do you do?

Ahh the million dollar question lol

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First time I've seen this thread too.

Big decision to move on. This has been flying around my empty head for a while but I can't seem to let go. At 52 with over 30 years climbing behind me what do I do?

I've always striven to do the best work I possibly can and shudder when I see some examples of work around the country...one of the reasons I persist in climbing! Until this year I haven't felt any slower or less proficient but the accumulated bumps, breaks etc catch up.

So when do you call it a day and step aside and what do you do?

whatever you want mate, whenever you want. :001_smile:

If I stop climbing, I will either have to stop eating half the stuff I enjoy :thumbdown:, or start going the gym :thumbdown:,

Or worse still become one of those huge fat ex-climber we all know :scared1:

Think I'll just keep climbing thanks

Good idea. I'll just carry on till I fall out of my tree. I won't be seen dead going to the gym:001_smile:

Thanks guys. Andy, I think my age played a part really. I've always tried to be the best climber in whatever outfit I've worked for, and for 20 od years that was the case. But I can't compete with 20 year olds, particularly once they've got a bit of experience. I was going too fast for an outashape old guy, trying to go balls out all the time doesn't work.

Some people suggested staying in the industry as a groundsman or tree officer, but I'd feel like a caged tiger, I'm a climber. Besides I have another career. Chainsaw on a jib arm? inspired. I just have to marry the two careers into a kick ass arb movie.

Oh and a word of warning...since October I have put on 3 stone!!! I'd post a before and after of my gut, but someone might be having their dinner.

Thanks again for kind words. sniff, sniff.

We have a po;icy of encoriging people to report near misses and be open about their mistakes, so well done.

the worrying thing when i worked at a college lecturing no matter how we kept pointing out the short falls of cut n chuck ther would always be at least one student with stiches in their left arm, it is indeed one of those things that takes us every time we do it closer to the day we cut our self....

im glad to hear you are healing well and back to work.

well done be carful out there

kev

hears a thought, if all the people on hear just put an extra £100 on bigger jobs would that lessen the pressure on teams to 'knock the work out' and reduce accidents....................................................

discuss i think well make that a question for this years cert arb safty paper ???????

kev